Question about Bootlegs

I suppose I'm really naive, but what's the deal with Bootleg copies of vinyl? I picked up QOTSA and they say that only red was pressed and that the rest are bootleg, mine is on black. So what's up, does some guy just get a bunch pressed and then sell them with no money going to the band? I would assume it's illegal too. I don't care too much about it but I was just interested. I hear that's there's Nirvana bootlegs too on here. Is it more of a British thing? And why does a "normal" store like Sister Ray's in London sell them? I would guess a stall in Camden would have bootlegs but not a store...Does anyone know the deal?

Thanks

Strictly speaking a bootleg release contains material that has not previously been officially released. This could be live recordings, demos and stuff like that. Ask any dedicated Grateful Dead fan and they'll pull out a whole bunch of these...

I assume that you're referring to the first Queens of the Stone Age album?

Since there was an original released legally by Man's Ruin, these later replicas belong in the counterfeiting category, where the aim is to duplicate a previous official release as close as possible. No money going to the copyright-holders. Absolutely illegal. But certain replicas tend to be in high demand, when the original never gets a proper repress. The QOTSA album is a perfect example, but lately the "Ænima" replica has been drawing a lot of attention too.

So now I saw your post in the Recent purchases thread and guess you're talking about the "Songs for the Deaf" 2xlp?

There was black vinyl on Interscope and mostly clear red vinyl versions pressed by Ipecac. The sleeves are different too. Both are official releases. I've also seen some oddball variations of the Ipecac version, but few copies exist.

So now I saw your post in the Recent purchases thread and guess you're talking about the "Songs for the Deaf" 2xlp?

There was black vinyl on Interscope and mostly clear red vinyl versions pressed by Ipecac. The sleeves are different too. Both are official releases. I've also seen some oddball variations of the Ipecac version, but few copies exist.

There are bootleg versions of songs for the deaf out there as well.

Boiled down, bootlegs are tangible recordings (records, CDs, tapes) made without the band or copyright holder's permission and that they see no money from. They can be replicas of official releases or live albums/outtakes/bonus material. Some are great quality, some are total garbage. Not too many bands actively stop bootlegs. I believe Rancid has pretty much all auctions for bootleg records bounced off of ebay.

My question is: If you collect a band, do you consider bootlegs part of that collection? Luckily, there is only one Screeching Weasel bootleg, which I have. But what about Rancid collectors, or NOFX which has at least two bootlegs? etc...

Personally I would only count official releases as part of the collection, but that's just my own criteria. There are really only a few bootlegs that I find essential, like "12 Hits from Hell" when it comes to the Misfits. But then again, like SW, the bands I collect rarely are associated with bootlegs or replicas.

I know a handful of people who collect Iron Maiden and have in the 700-1000 unit range of strictly official releases. In addition to those they usually have a few hundred bootleg lp's crammed into their shelves, but never count them as part of the collection. Again, personal preferences and criterias.

Yeah, Songs for the Deaf is on black it says it was manufactured by Interscope and it has the Ipecac logo on it. When I played it I thought the vinyl was a little bit on the light side, but that probably has more to do with saving money than anything else.

I suppose there had to be something that people did before the internets and burning CD's and home taping!

I'm checking out popsike and they show a couple of different versions. The cover that matches my LP are all red and the black ones are similar to the original cover. Then there's a bunch with the different cover (the big Q with the sperm) in different colors.

I find it odd when someone goes through all of the trouble to put out a bootleg and it sounds like shit.

many times, there are great sounding recordings out there, but someone pics a shit copy to pull from. examples being both Jawbreaker boot 7"s and even the Modest Mouse "live in NYC" LP. I have a flawless soundboard recording of the show the one Jawbreaker boot is from and I have numerous sbd shows from the time the "live in NYC" LP came out.

immigrationproblem, at one point there was a site dedicated to QOTSA with a most detailed discography & version release history. It's really bugging me now that I can't dig it up as the name of it escapes me, but it must still be out there somewhere. Especially their photoarchive with lots of close ups of the different versions would clear up your inquiry in no time.

There were originally two versions for SFTD.

UK press: Interscope, black vinyl, 2xLP in non-gatefoldsleeve, cover is like the cd version but with inversed colors. Yellow sticker on the sleeve. Has the spanish version of Gonna leave you plus 2 bonus tracks (Lost art live, Everybody´s gonna be happy), parental advisery printed on sleeve

US press: Ipecac, clear red, 2xLP in gatefoldsleeve, Q with sperm sleeve, bonus track Bloody hammer, parental advisey sticker on the sleeve

All UKs were black, all US were clear red. all other versions are bootlegs/counterfeits, especially those with mixed colors (1 red/1 green)

So, in the case of high profile releases like Aenima, wouldn't it be really easy to track down the bootlegger? I mean Aural Exploits must've bought a decent quantity of these from someone. And are the better bootlegs just done by someone that works at a pressing plant? I've always been curious about this.

Guest afsdan

bootleggers only have enough money to bootleg an album, and therefore have no assets to 'go after' should the bootlegged party get pissed.

There are bootleg versions of songs for the deaf out there as well.

Boiled down, bootlegs are tangible recordings (records, CDs, tapes) made without the band or copyright holder's permission and that they see no money from. They can be replicas of official releases or live albums/outtakes/bonus material. Some are great quality, some are total garbage. Not too many bands actively stop bootlegs. I believe Rancid has pretty much all auctions for bootleg records bounced off of ebay.

My question is: If you collect a band, do you consider bootlegs part of that collection? Luckily, there is only one Screeching Weasel bootleg, which I have. But what about Rancid collectors, or NOFX which has at least two bootlegs? etc...

i don't buy bootlegs online. the couple of rancid and operation ivy bootlegs i have are from stores (except for newport 69 and seedy which technically aren't bootlegs)

What does your cover of Songs for the Deaf look like? That will tell you if you have the legit version or not (doesn't sound like it since it says ipecac on it).

I'm pretty sure it's a bootleg. It's a gatefold with a black cover and the red Q and semen dude; black on double LP. Incidentally it still sounds good which I'm always happy about. I think spending 25 pounds on it was a bit much, but I don't mind because I just want it to listen to!

What does your cover of Songs for the Deaf look like? That will tell you if you have the legit version or not (doesn't sound like it since it says ipecac on it).

I'm pretty sure it's a bootleg. It's a gatefold with a black cover and the red Q and semen dude; black on double LP. Incidentally it still sounds good which I'm always happy about. I think spending 25 pounds on it was a bit much, but I don't mind because I just want it to listen to!

Yup. It's a bootleg of the Ipecac version (I have one of the 1,500 legitimate red vinyl originals). The Interscope version on black vinyl has the same cover as the cd but with the colors reversed.

i'm glad somebody started this thread, because i have been super curious about this as well...

my specific question would be about all the vinyl out on ebay for sale from japan. Does anybody know much about this? It's hard to tell if this stuff is legit, or bootleg, or whatever because it seems like an endless supply of certain "limited" records. I just would like to know if it is quality or not?

and if anybody could point me somewhere that explains bootlegs in-depth, ore explain it to me themselves, i am extremely curious about the whole process. I don't know why, but it fascinates me!

sorry if i ranted a bit

thanks in advance for the info