i want to somehow press the jazz june's medicine

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, so i got a message back from the band, and though it's not official, dan's pretty sure the rest of the band would be cool with it. however, i had no idea pressing 500 double LPs would cost as much as it does (rookie mistake, but i'm new to all of this). i guess the only way to press this would be collectively with several people. i'd be willing to put in all of the time and organize everything, but i simply can't cover the costs on my own at this point. so that's the deal. if any of you are serious about putting money forward into getting this released, post.

Dude, I hate to be Debbie Downer but the likelihood of 500 Jazz June LPs selling in any reasonable amount of time is pretty much zero. Shit, Forge Again is still hawking Boys Night Out LPs from a /500 pressing and that band is active, touring and has a much more established fanbase than the Jazz June ever did.

Just sayin', is all. I admire the people on here who are trying to get their favorite records pressed by any means necessary, but some of you are going to lose your shirts. (Monk, this goes out to you, too -- if you sell 500 Park LPs, I'd be blown away.)

I would think, honestly, that you'll maybe sell 100 (or at least get 100 into distros) right away and then you'll be sitting on the rest of your stock for a long, long time.

Also, it would probably be more expensive to press a shorter run.

The other negative is you're in Canada, and as you've been posting recently, international shipping is a huge bitch out of Canada into the U.S. (where the majority of copies of this record would be sold). You're going to have to charge quite a bit for a copy, if it's a short run, a double LP and international postage if you're even contemplating the idea of breaking even, and even then, it's probably going to be very difficult to not lose your shirt.

okay, i'm going to attempt to make a somewhat comprehensive post- or at least as comprehensive as it can be for something still in its infant stages.

firstly, we have the go-ahead from the band and justin's going to contact the label (thanks bud).

next, and i know some of you have mentioned about having some idea about this, but does anyone know a good, cheap pressing plant? if so, can you please get in touch with them and ask them for rates? if not, please pass the info onto me and i will do so.

as i see it, if we can get enough money together, the pressing info will look something like this:

one-time pressing of 300 hand-numbered double LPs on blue (blue was requested by the band if it was possible, and i think this would be a great color too). if it makes a TON more sense economically speaking to press 500 or even 1000, then that is the route we'll go, but i think the latter is too great a number and we would only go that route if we got an insane deal.

distribution: as i am in canada, and shipping is rapery, the finished product would have to go to one of the main contributors' houses and they would have to take care of shipping. believe me, if i could, i would love too. but it would be impossible to break even if i shipped them from toronto with our crazy rates.

funding/contributors: though i'd love to release this on my own, i simply can't. don't have nearly enough cash. but we can definitely get this done together. details are yet to be worked out, as that would come after i got the okay all around and final costs from the plant, but it would probably be safe to say that the largest contributors could lock down a test pressing.

who profits? the ideal situation is every contributor breaks even, and maybe the largest contributors make a VERY small amount for the time/effort, with the rest (if there is any) going to the band/label.

again, the next step in this process is getting the okay from the label (justin's on that for me) and getting some rates from some good pressing plants (still need someone's help with this).

several people have already expressed interest in backing this project. i believe/hope we can get this done.

finally, if a mod could sticky this for a little while, it'd be much appreciated.

Also, you could have me or the KOD crew receive the majority of the pressing and sell them for you in the states, I work at a distributor so I could just add the record as a release and pay you as I get paid, Virgil will sell them, me or bryon could get the record into no idea, and you could set up an acct with interpunk and when it needs restocking we can send it from here in the states.

Just a few ideas.

Also, you could have me or the KOD crew receive the majority of the pressing and sell them for you in the states, I work at a distributor so I could just add the record as a release and pay you as I get paid, Virgil will sell them, me or bryon could get the record into no idea, and you could set up an acct with interpunk and when it needs restocking we can send it from here in the states.

Just a few ideas.

as always, justins the man

Just a few ideas.

this is a great idea, however it'll probably be a lot of work for you, but if you're willing to take it on, i'd be very grateful. it'd be a lot of work because multiple people funding=multiple people needing to receive revenues. but if you'd take this on, that'd be awesome.

just go with United to press it, I always try to use Aardvark for mastering/plating, but Justin from Forge Again has used United's in-house mastering/plating and not had any problems...though at least in the past they had a bad reputation for not doing a good job, they must have hired somebody that knows how to do that....

distribution: as i am in canada, and shipping is rapery, the finished product would have to go to one of the main contributors' houses and they would have to take care of shipping. believe me, if i could, i would love too. but it would be impossible to break even if i shipped them from toronto with our crazy rates.

If you want, you can have them shipped to Sit And Spin Records in Buffalo and pick them up rather than have to pay shipping to Canada and the fees associated with that. Shipping from slightly across the border will save $$$.

Hello

I just cought this post and might be able to help out with the plates for this which would cut a big chunck of the cost for your set up. I have to do some digging around but should have them. I also might have all the art work for this as well. This could could help out with cutting down on the cost.

Also I only have two copies left of the test presses but those are for my kids. I saved a copy of everything we did for my boys but everything else is pretty much gone.

I have time tomorrow to look around and I will list everything I have and if anyone is interested they can get in touch.