Los Angeles Record Stores (That Aren't Amoeba)

What about the personal attention? haahaa ok. I have been working at Amoeba for about 5 or so months now. you figure on a fri. or sat. we get about 1,000 people per hour coming in. If anyone asks for help they get it and as much as we can give out. There are over 260 employees at the store and all have knowledge in different areas. I help people all the time and i see other employess helping people non stop...even with the insane amount of people that are in there at a time.

as for not having anything you want. i can tell you i see resellers in there all the time. dudes that just buy shit and resell it on ebay. i know of two dudes that do that with all the indie records(punk,emo,hardcore,grindcore,etc)....so ya i get pissed too and i even work there. which means they are getting shit i even want. as employees we do not get first pick (for the most part). the owners are big on that and it is something they keep an eye on. I have gotten awesome records since i have been there but i have also just gotten lucky when things get put out. The back warehouse is insane. you have no idea at all. its almost as big as the main floor with more records than you can even imagine. its record nerd heaven. I'm pretty sure every record ever pressed have been through those doors at least once. thats how nuts it is.

I worked for a indie record store for a year and i worked for tower records for 7 1/2 years after that. I have never worked at a place that takes care of its customers and employees like Amoeba does.

they let people bring their dogs in the store and also give the dogs treats and water. personal attention....i think there is a lot of that going on at Amoeba.

Just sayin'

ryan

you figure on a fri. or sat. we get about 1,000 people per hour coming in. If anyone asks for help they get it and as much as we can give out. There are over 260 employees at the store and all have knowledge in different areas.

That's really the main issue. Amoeba's size means it's inherently a less personal place to visit. That's not a knock against Amoeba, it's just a fact. I've never had a bad experience and I know Bill (the author of the original post) hasn't either and that's not what he meant. Amoeba's customer service, size, selection, etc. are awesome, but sometimes it's nice to just go into a small shop, browse their selection (even if you don't find anything), and if it's slow inside just talk music/records with the dude behind the counter.

I find Amoeba intimidating and unless I bring a list I usually wander aimlessly which is fine, and I rarely leave there empty handed so kudos to Amoeba and all it's fine employees no disrespect intended.

On the other hand I'm pretty excited to hear about some of these other places. Headline I've been to, the one in HB and the others sound interesting. Has anyone ever found anything they were looking for at Record Surplus on Pico? That place kinda sucks (please let no one work there)

Dude, Vinyl Solution in HB is near Tonya's place. Last time I went there I got kinda drunk at her place, then she drove me to Vinyl Solution and bought records and peed in their David Lee Roth bathroom (I think it was DLR??) and then went back to her place and got really drunk. Good times.

We should party out there and go record shopping.

Guest genericinsight
"im here with my friend Jonathan the zombie..."

headline records on melrose is pretty good.

YES, this is the place I went to when I was in LA and couldn't remember the name of. I didn't buy anything but they had a good selection considering how small the store was.

Dude, Vinyl Solution in HB is near Tonya's place. Last time I went there I got kinda drunk at her place, then she drove me to Vinyl Solution and bought records and peed in their David Lee Roth bathroom (I think it was DLR??) and then went back to her place and got really drunk. Good times.

We should party out there and go record shopping.

We'll do it. They have a David Lee Roth bathroom? I only pee in the Cliff Burton bathroom RIP Cliff!