Leaving for China in 5 Days

tim

On Saturday I depart for 10 months in the People's Republic.

If anybody here has been and wants to share any stories or advice, post here or PM me.

I'm pretty excited, a little nervous, and already mourning a year with no vinyl, no concerts, and all-around isolation from the music scene.

I'm counting on you folks to help keep me in the loop.

My friend is there right now, he is supposed to come back next week but i have a feeling he is going to stay. But he did say he was held for questioning because there was "talk" about a white bomber at the airport, and he is white. He also bought a nice bike for 20 bucks, then later that day he was hit by a car. Seems like a fun place, i can see why he would want to stay.

I was there for a month last summer. Very fun, intense, and cheap. I will say i do not miss dudes trying to take me down dark alleys to abandoned buildings to sell me DVD's and watches. Also, I hope you don't have to drive or anything when you're down there, you're going to hit somebody.

I'll be in Wenzhou, which is in Zhejiang province just a ways south of Shanghai. And I'll be teaching in a BC-run school so I'll be teaching the same curriculum I would teach in a high school here.

-dont step in the streets.

Do you mean this in a "watch out for crazy traffic" way? I'm prepared, I think. I went to Taiwan and it was basically the same. Definitely won't be driving. I get a shuttle to and from work and everywhere else I will probably taxi.

I think it will be a good time. But no hockey on TV, no UFC on PPV, and no Alternative Press on the racks. It's going to be tough...