Oasis breaking up

taken from their wikipedia page:

However, on 28 August 2009, after a fight between the Gallaghers in the backstage, their manager announced the cancellation of their concert at the Rock-en-Seine festival near Paris just minutes before it was about to begin, the cancellation of the European tour and that the group "does not exist anymore", referring a coming statement from Noel Gallagher.[4][5][68][69]

Two hours later, a little before midnight, on the band website, a statement of Noel Gallagher read:

"It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight. People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer."

"Apologies to all the people who bought tickets for the shows in Paris, Konstanz and Milan.

You're right, they are not nor were they ever greater than the Beatles.

However, they are the only group I can think of to create such a global buzz that really hasn't been seen since the debut of the Beatles. I mean, there was a three year period where Oasis were headline news in every tabloid and music magazine in existence. People were straight up going crazy over this band. They are responsible for writing some of the greatest rock/pop songs of the 90's, and although they havent been in the public's eye for sometime, it is pretty shitty when a genuine rock N roll band calls it quits in the wake of all this emo/punk/hot topic band bullshit.

However, they are the only group I can think of to create such a global buzz that really hasn't been seen since the debut of the Beatles. I mean, there was a three year period where Oasis were headline news in every tabloid and music magazine in existence. People were straight up going crazy over this band.

where was i for this?

some bands i can think of that created a global buzz since the Beatles are Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and The Who. ironically all bands from the UK. some might even throw U2 and very recently Green Day on that list of bands that generate a huge buzz.

You're right, they are not nor were they ever greater than the Beatles.

However, they are the only group I can think of to create such a global buzz that really hasn't been seen since the debut of the Beatles. I mean, there was a three year period where Oasis were headline news in every tabloid and music magazine in existence. People were straight up going crazy over this band. They are responsible for writing some of the greatest rock/pop songs of the 90's, and although they havent been in the public's eye for sometime, it is pretty shitty when a genuine rock N roll band calls it quits in the wake of all this emo/punk/hot topic band bullshit.

I'd rather listen to hot topic bullshit than wonderwall one more goddamn time any fucking day of the week. There's no need to back those guys up at all.

They made one great record and a bunch of records trying to be the one great record along with a record before that great record showing signs of its coming. Everything after What's the Story was just a re-hash. Egos were always too big for the room. Though their unplugged was brilliant.

If you can't remember the insanity surrounding Oasis from the time of their debut Definitely Maybe (94) up until Be Here Now (97), you were not paying attention to music.

exactly, i was only about 10 or 11 when it all started kicking off but i remember it pretty well, they were such a massive band, especially here in the UK, lets not forget they played to 250,000 people over only two nights at the height of it all. You could probably count the number of bands since the beatles big enough to do that on one hand.

I'm pretty sure the Wonderstuff packed Wembley Stadium in their day and not a damn soul knows them well in the US, comparably.

well... yeah but wembley held about 65,000 back then. Not that that's a small amount of people but when you consider that something like three million people applied to get one of the 250,000 tickets to their Knebworth shows that should give you an idea of how ridiculously huge they were. Though, obviously, Led Zep are a hundred times bigger, only one million applied to get one of 20,000 tickets to their reunion last year.