Rancid - Let The Dominoes Fall

I'm sure this record has already been discussed and I missed it, but I feel obligated to discuss it further. Rancid is, in my opinion, the greatest contemporary punk band in America and "Let The Dominoes Fall" is, in my opinion, their greatest record ever.

I've loved Rancid since I was really young but in the last few years I've felt a slight lack of interest in the group. I felt like "Life Wont Wait" was doomed to be their last great record, but with "Let The Dominoes Fall" my hope in the band was not only revived, but I have more faith in them than ever. I love the heavy, heavy DUB influence on this release, as well as the Dylan/Springstein/Americana style story telling. I love how acoustic guitars follow straight reggae songs. I love how they are focusing more on singing and less on shouting. I love how they sound harder than ever, but the songs aren't at all heavy. I feel like this is the album they've always been trying to write, but in the past have fallen short. Everything about this record is what makes Rancid great.

I picked the album up the day it came out and it's stuck with me ever since. I just can't get enough of it. An unbelievable record.

You may be opening a can of worms here dawg...lol

Not to split hairs, but the 2nd self-titled album was a really killer follow up to LWW...some of their best work since Let's Go. I thoroughly enjoyed AOCTW and LWW, but am also a fan of the heavier Rancid stuff. I kinda avoided Indestructible because I wasn't into "Fall Back Down" at first, but it has since grown on me. Either way, I just ordered LTDF, Indestructible, and Rancid (1993) from the new Epitaph web store and am looking forward to them.

They need to press that Tim Armstrong solo album on vinyl...unless they already have, in which case I need to get a copy on vinyl.

Also "Up To No Good" is easily the best song on the record.

So very true.

Great album over all. Not up to par with Life won't Wait, but that said, I still enjoy every Rancid album.

Also true what was mentioned above about very few songs with Lars' vocals. The songs with all 3 singing are alright, but Lars' vocals are the standout.

i've been into rancid from age 12-13.....s/t was the 1st record i heard from themmm..blew me away. lets go to this day is my fav rancid record....i liked everythintg up to the point of Indestructible at which point i saw the band take a turn for the worst.

the transplants should have been a sie band, NOT brought into rancid. and thats what Indestructible did. which made me no longer really care for the band. the new record is by far the worst record they have ever done. over produced is an understatement...it blew my mind how bad the record really is. at least on Indestructible there are a rew ok songs....but the new one just fucking takes the cake at being the worst record of the year in my book.

I loved everything up to this. This album just doesn't do it for me. It's not fast and hard like S/T II, not catchy or as many hooks as AOCTW and Lets go, not as quirky as LWW, and doesn't have the heart of their first record. To me it's just an indestructible with less appeal and I sure as fuck don't need to see Armstrong with granny glasses and a head tat singing about why they're still around. If you need to sing about it, you probably should have quit awhile ago.

EDIT: This isn't to say LTDF is unlistenable and I'm glad some fans really like it, I just expect more from a band I love.

When I first heard the new record I didn't like it one bit. A few more plays and it really grew on me and turned into quite a great record. There are a couple of flops on it, but overall I really enjoy it. I've been listening to Rancid since day one. I stop short of calling this their weakest album...I think Life Won't Wait is their worst. My favorite Rancid album is easily Let's Go.

However i am pretty positive that i will be disappointed.

This is exactly how I felt. As a life long Rancid fan(6th grade) I was SURE that I would hate this. I didn't know if I even wanted to ever hear it and tarnish their legacy in my mind. Someone on another forum uploaded it early and I took the bait. I never download stuff unless I have the vinyl, but I was so sure I was going to hate this that I didn't want to waste the money. To my surprise I absolutely loved it on the first listen, and have continued to play it on a weekly basis.

Give it a chance.

i've been into rancid from age 12-13.....s/t was the 1st record i heard from themmm..blew me away. lets go to this day is my fav rancid record....i liked everythintg up to the point of Indestructible at which point i saw the band take a turn for the worst.

the transplants should have been a sie band, NOT brought into rancid. and thats what Indestructible did. which made me no longer really care for the band. the new record is by far the worst record they have ever done. over produced is an understatement...it blew my mind how bad the record really is. at least on Indestructible there are a rew ok songs....but the new one just fucking takes the cake at being the worst record of the year in my book.

What is it that that you don't like about the record? Is it the solid song writing or the lack of cheesy street punk bits?

I feel like there is a huge difference between a rancid fan that listens to Rancid and a Rancid fan that listens to what Rancid listens to. I simply relate more to this record than anything they've done in the past. "Up To No Good", "I Ain't Worried", "Lulu", "Liberty and Freedom", and "That's Just The Way It Is Now" are some the best and most interesting songs they've ever recorded.

I know everyone is crazy about the fast, pissed off sounding Rancid tracks of the past, but when you think about it, that's never what made Rancid great. What made Rancid great is their heavy Jamaican influence mixed with classic American and British punk sounds. They play punk the way The Clash played punk. If you want to listen to street punk or hardcore, there's plenty of bands that do that stuff a lot better than Rancid. If you want to listen to something exciting, inspired, culturally relevant and well... listenable, I think that the newest LP is fucking fantastic.