Pelican "city of echoes", "pink mammoth" pre-order

Guest admin1338560633

i bet for the most part hydrahead is doing equal pressings of all colors these days. selling out first in the store isn't an indication of which is rarest, just which is most popular. but if they're doing 5 colors... i bet they're doing pressings of 3000, 600 each color. or it's possible they're doing 1000 black, and then 500 each of the other colors.

im not sure how fast they sell has any bearing on how rare they are. i think it's a matter of people wanting the neatest color. i mean, do people know something i dont? how would they know how rare they are?

they don't have to know, the rarest colors have less copies available and will naturally sell out first. just like with the last boris/merzbow colab, clear/green sold out really fast and pops up far less than any of the other colors on ebay, where the green/yellow has 5 copies on ebay at any given time. its not like you can deduce the numbers, just which is rarest.

well, he would probably know more than i would.

3000 seems like an awful lot of records to sell in a few days time, which is what hydra head manages to do

well, you figure that hydrahead keeps most of them for their store, then the band needs a good portion to sell on tour (probably 500 or so), and then they need a good portion to send to distros.

ya know... fire in our throats still isn't sold out everywhere. the band has them, virgil has them, i'm sure some other distros out there have them.

i think a lot of peoples logic in picking which records is which ones theyve seen on e-bay and assume whatever pelican has with them is less rare (ie, the light blue and silver, clear w/ black) whereas no one had heard/seen of pink/black. i bought the clear w/ black just because i thought that matched the best. splatter vinyl is more popular too i think (at least in some circles--some people hate it). in reality, id venture to guess all of those are pressed in equal numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody, first time poster, just started collecting this past month.

I picked up Clear Light Blue "City of Echoes", and Pink w/ Red Splatter "Pink Mammoths"

It's been weird reading this thread, I consider myself a pelican fan. I have s/t on vinyl, and 2 versions of the Interloper Australasia (pink and white edish, and purple and green edish) and I have a few cd's. But I can see how people don't think they are anything special. I think my appeal is there sound, and how it just makes me feel like its just a few dudes rocking and having fun. I know that is probably the lamest description, and as my first post, I'm a tad embarassed that I just said that, but maybe someone knows what I mean. Specially when played on vinyl. Yum.

Hey everybody, first time poster, just started collecting this past month.

I picked up Clear Light Blue "City of Echoes", and Pink w/ Red Splatter "Pink Mammoths"

It's been weird reading this thread, I consider myself a pelican fan. I have s/t on vinyl, and 2 versions of the Interloper Australasia (pink and white edish, and purple and green edish) and I have a few cd's. But I can see how people don't think they are anything special. I think my appeal is there sound, and how it just makes me feel like its just a few dudes rocking and having fun. I know that is probably the lamest description, and as my first post, I'm a tad embarassed that I just said that, but maybe someone knows what I mean. Specially when played on vinyl. Yum.

i know exactly what you mean. that was my initial draw to them, that and they were heavy as balls. i just cant take them seriously anymore. i guess you could say ive 'grown out of them.' i cant believe i just said THAT.

I actually have a friend who said he feels the same way. That he has grown out of them, that is. I'll have to judge by the next album they release, cause I was iffy on City of Echoes but have since grown to love the majority of it (my interest declines towards the last few tracks).

Hey man...I'm into them and know what you mean. I am a recent fan...a friend knew that I am a big ISIS fan, and suggested that I give Pelican a try...I am hooked...I enjoy that there are no vocals in the music and like you said, it sounds like a group of guys jamming out and painting a sonic collage...

The s/t ep is a great record and the Woods is one of the heaviest songs ever but ever since FIOT I have not been into Pelican; I used to really like them but I just find I get bored while listening to them more often than not. I still debated on whether or not I should get the album when it was put up for sale but I finally bought my copy of OMG - Seminar II instead, a killer album that doesn't get boring.