xbox 360 or ps3?

blu-ray will basically be a high end tv user's DVD.

regular DVD's as a format won't die for a long while.

what was VHS' shelf anyway? 25, 30 years?

I can't remember the numbers I read, but the amount of people who still watch VHS movies is staggering. Didn't VHS technically die last year?

I know this will be hotly contested, but I much prefer the PS3 controller to the Xbox 360 controller.

It just doesn't feel right in my hand to me -- there's too much girth in the handle area. And the d-pad on the 360 controller is AWFUL. And I don't like the placement of the left analog stick at all. Not to mention the analog sticks have a much larger dead zone than the PS3 sticks and are therefore less responsive.

I don't know. I'm not saying Xbox 360 isn't great. It is. I just prefer PS3. The controller is a big reason, but I also associate Xbox/360 with First Person Shooters, which I hate.

/2¢

there are more good games for xbox than ps3

This is a crock of shit. First of all, most of the really great games are available for both systems. Second, it's all subjective, but compare the exclusives and both systems have amazing games.

PS3:

Killzone

Ratchet and Clank

Uncharted

Infamous

Megal Gear Solid

MLB The Show

God of War

Gran Turismo

Heavy Rain

Final Fantasy

Gears of War

Halo

Forza

Mass Effect

Those are all I can think of for 360. I'm not trying to be biased I just don't have the system anymore so I can't think of anything else. Fill in the list with others.

The point is, both systems are great, both have advantages, both have killer games. The whole fanboy thing is stupid.

I'm probably going to buy a 360 next week when I get paid just for COD MW2 because everyone I know who has it plays it on 360. I'll probably just get an Arcade system. The internal memory is enough for in game saves and then if I ever need anything more I can just buy a 20gb hard drive for like $20 off ebay. I always thought the Arcade was a ripoff but now that it comes with a wireless controller and I have extra HDMI cables lying around my house it's a good deal for now.

blu-ray will basically be a high end tv user's DVD.

regular DVD's as a format won't die for a long while.

what was VHS' shelf anyway? 25, 30 years?

I can't remember the numbers I read, but the amount of people who still watch VHS movies is staggering. Didn't VHS technically die last year?

i was working at Blockbuster when they got rid of their VHS inventory back in like 2004-05. they were selling stuff for a dollar apiece and the stuff we didn't sell we had to break. such a waste.

Bluray is for jokes. If you're putting faith in physical media you're silly. Streaming is the future.

never ever going to happen.

1. bandwith restrictions. very difficult to stream a movie in 1080p. no way ISPs are going to up their speeds.

2. retail stores will not allow the death of physical media. the whole system would collapse. prime example the deal Infinity Ward with stores that all downloaded copies of MW2 would not be activated until a day later.

3. if we go to an all streaming medium, we as consumers will be paying premium prices all the time. there will be no sales because there will be no competition. prime example: Xbox360's games on demand. these are games that you can find brand new in most retail stores for half the price sometimes.

i was working at Blockbuster when they got rid of their VHS inventory back in like 2004-05. they were selling stuff for a dollar apiece and the stuff we didn't sell we had to break. such a waste.

I had a killer tape collection for years because I worked at blockbuster and we just took all the stuff we wanted that they ordered destroyed. That being said I took great satisfaction in sledgehammering twenty VHS copies of Big Mama's House.

I had a killer tape collection for years because I worked at blockbuster and we just took all the stuff we wanted that they ordered destroyed. That being said I took great satisfaction in sledgehammering twenty VHS copies of Big Mama's House.

we played baseball in the back with them.

I love blu-ray. Piracy is going to kill it, but as a fan of special features like the amazing documentary that came with the remaster of American Werewolf in London legal digital distribution isn't going to give me those and piracy is going kill the profit of the people who put hours into making supplementary materials. Much the same way I like collecting records to have a physical artifact of art that's important to me I like having a dvd/blu ray of the movies that are important to me. We watched sleeping beauty last night and the remaster on it fucked my eyeballs.

wait wait wait wait wait, theres a special edition blu-ray of american werewolf in london?

Yes. Yes there is. And it is glorious.

Bluray is for jokes. If you're putting faith in physical media you're silly. Streaming is the future.

never ever going to happen.

1. bandwith restrictions. very difficult to stream a movie in 1080p. no way ISPs are going to up their speeds.

2. retail stores will not allow the death of physical media. the whole system would collapse. prime example the deal Infinity Ward with stores that all downloaded copies of MW2 would not be activated until a day later.

3. if we go to an all streaming medium, we as consumers will be paying premium prices all the time. there will be no sales because there will be no competition. prime example: Xbox360's games on demand. these are games that you can find brand new in most retail stores for half the price sometimes.

Never? Look at how much things are changing. Digital media is the future.

1. Bandwidth is *almost* there. It's not perfect right now, but it's getting there. Comcast just boosted me to 15mbps and it's fantastic, no problem streaming an HD movie from the XBLA. FIOS is insanely fast right now. YouTube is rolling out 1080P video next week btw.

2. Retails stores might not let it happen, but customers can. Look at how successful Steam is for PC games. The ability to download full blown XBOX games is already available. I don't think it's a good value, because you can't sell the games, but that's DRM and a whole other rant.

3. As it stands right now, yes. The paying a premium is a huge downfall. But as things open up and people figure out exactly what they're doing competition will lower the price.

Right now no one knows what the future of media is. People still think DVDs are fine, some think Blu-Ray is the way to go, there's the digital purchasing folks, and then the streaming camp.

I wouldn't say never though.

As this thread demonstrates, it depends what you're into. I bought a 360 a while ago thinking I don't need a blu ray player, and would use xbox live A LOT. Both those turned out to be false as I recently decided to make the jump to blu ray and used XBL 4 times since I got it. Many of my friends have xbox but I just never played with them. I sold my xbox a couple weeks ago and got a ps3 and love it. The games are almost equivalent, each has good exclusives (i happen to favor the playstation exclusives) and most games come out for both, but at the end of the day if you just want a gaming system (which is what it sounds like for a van) you should probably go with the xbox. If you want all the features beyond a gaming system go with ps3.