My new bike

oakland

I will post the final result when it's done. Might be a while. This sort of thing is pricey. I already have brakes, levers, saddle, bars, hubs. Still need cranks / chainring, cassette, chain, rims, spokes and various little parts. I got a bunch of gift certificates for my birthday so hopefully that puts a dent in it.

Lokithelion: I don't know about that. I'm sure there are sites. I just go to the bike shop.

please dont say your making this into a fixie!

No, I like to stop. Fixies are great for track bikes but I have serious issues with people riding them around town without brakes. I mean, do your thing, but that's bad news in my book.

Fixed gear bikes and brakes are not mutually exclusive.

No, I like to stop. Fixies are great for track bikes but I have serious issues with people riding them around town without brakes. I mean, do your thing, but that's bad news in my book.

Riding brake less is dangerous and horrible for your knees. I ride bikes to improve my health not to fuck it up more.

Technically true, but would you agree that most don't have breaks and about 3/4 of the ones that do only have a front brake?

Post some pics when it's ready! you man up and get a motorcycle.

I'll just come out and say it: motorcycles are straight up gay.

But seriously, the real reason I don't have a motorcycle is simple: I was involved in a serious motorcycle accident when I was a kid. Thankfully I'm 100 percent fine now, but could easily have died. Which brings me to my next point. I have lost a number of friends to motorcycle accidents. And nearly everyone I know that rides has had a minor to severe wreck at one time or another. Bottom line: there is no such thing as a 'fender bender' on a motorcycle. I truly feel they are unsafe and dangerous. Also a huge waste of money for someone like me who can easily pedal most places I'm going.

Oh, and my bicycle probably will wind up costing more than your motorcycle, so I win.

Back to the brakeless thing, some kid here was riding brakeless and slammed into the back of a van so hard that he went through the back window and ended up cutting his jugular on some exposed metal from the lack of window. I'm not sure whatever happened to him. Last I read he was in critical condition and they weren't sure if he would make it.

I'll just come out and say it: motorcycles are straight up gay.

But seriously, the real reason I don't have a motorcycle is simple: I was involved in a serious motorcycle accident when I was a kid. Thankfully I'm 100 percent fine now, but could easily have died. Which brings me to my next point. I have lost a number of friends to motorcycle accidents. And nearly everyone I know that rides has had a minor to severe wreck at one time or another. Bottom line: there is no such thing as a 'fender bender' on a motorcycle. I truly feel they are unsafe and dangerous. Also a huge waste of money for someone like me who can easily pedal most places I'm going.

Oh, and my bicycle probably will wind up costing more than your motorcycle, so I win.

That's a lot of words just to say "I'm a wussbag!"

I have some really fancy brakes on my fixed gear bike. Anyway. Fixie or no, I'm all about road bikes. Is it at least going to be a single speed? Or are you in to all that gears nonsense? ;) Your frame looks awesome. My setup is black and white too. I'm looking to get some white tires soon. Booyah to bikes!

My posts in this thread have been uncharacteristic of my usual laid-back and polite dudeliness.

Though I do find bike rides of both the bicycle and motorcycle variety incredibly relaxing, I just don't know how long I can continue to be as big of an asshole as Oakland is. Because he's totally gay (his words, not mine).

Bicycles are dangerous too. If there's one sonofabitchgoddamnlesson I've learned in the worst way over the last few months, it's that the best you can do is be aware of what's around you, pay attention, take care, and hope that's enough. No matter WHAT you're riding, it only takes one dipshit running a stop sign to fuck you up but good.

Yeah, I'm an asshole. Take it up with my mom. And Steven, please tell us all about your totally macho super hetro-bike. I bet the description will tell us a lot about you.

Kidamnesiac, it will be a full-blown road bike I'm sorry to say. This is Colorado and though I have and can ride up most of the hills around me on a single speed it is very, very difficult. It wouldn't make much sense really for a cyclist out here who rides 15-20 miles per ride to do so without gears. Your legs would be like jelly.