30th anniversary of jumping the shark

Guest scriptedrain
Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends

(i like where you want to be but they'll never, ever, ever top tell all your friends.)

Tell All Your Friends wouldn't be jumping the shark. I don't think you understand the term.

- Jeff

Guest falloutcollapse

(i like where you want to be but they'll never, ever, ever top tell all your friends.)

Tell All Your Friends wouldn't be jumping the shark. I don't think you understand the term.

- Jeff

How about that 'Greatest Hits' compilation? :)

- Jeff

My understanding of jumping the shark is when something/somebody can't do any better. Happy Days "jumped the shark" when Fonzy jumped the shark tank because there was no getting any better from that. People have said Friends jumped the shark when they aired the Chinadler Bong episode. There's a whole website dedicated to it. So I do believe I understand the term.

- Jeff

My understanding of jumping the shark is when something/somebody can't do any better. Happy Days "jumped the shark" when Fonzy jumped the shark tank because there was no getting any better from that. People have said Friends jumped the shark when they aired the Chinadler Bong episode. There's a whole website dedicated to it. So I do believe I understand the term.

It also has to do with alienating part or a majority of the captive audience, like a turning point where everything sort of goes downhill, slowly or otherwise.

It also has to do with alienating part or a majority of the captive audience, like a turning point where everything sort of goes downhill, slowly or otherwise.

That's a definition I was not aware of.