What do you when...

casey

You see someone hitting kids in public?

I'll almost always say something if I see someone being mean/violent to a kid. Tonight was leaps beyond anything I've seen before, though.

I was at Wal-Mart (how many fucked up stories start like this?) and as I was getting out of my car, this guy screams "Get her over here right now so I can spank the shit out of her!" So this 6 or 7 year old girl comes over and the dad picks her up by one arm and hits her so hard on the ass that her legs come out from under her and she hits the pavement with her face. As if this weren't bad enough, the apparent impetus to this assault was her leaving the door to the family SVU open. I said to the guy "Does that make you feel better about yourself?" He told me to mind my business so I went inside and started thinking about things I could do. I thought about keying the shit out of his Excursion, but I ended up leaving a note saying "Just wanted to let you know that I witnessed you assaulting your daughter and will be calling Dept. of Children & Families tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving, psycho. :)" Then I came home and called the cops. The kicker to this story is that the dude had all this EMT paraphernalia on the back window, including amazingly enough, a sticker that said "I save lives."

Sorry for the rant, but kids getting hurt is like the worst thing i can imagine. And I'm kind of nervous that this psycho will come looking for me. Do you think I did the right thing?

This isn't any different than what my parents did to me.. except they'd hold me up so i wouldn't fall. That might be the parents fault for not holding them correctly when they are being spanked. Shit happens. I think being punished for leaving the car door is a bit excessive though.

I'm kinda on the fence about this.. People hit their kids in public.. and sometimes others think it's wrong. i think a public humilation and a spanking in public is called for sometimes.. you learn early that there are consequences for your actions. And a public lashing to a child is far worse than at home. I had the same shit happen to me and i'm 36 now with no convictions or charges brought on me.

I kinda think he was wrong for not propping his kid up before spanking her so she wouldn't physically get hurt if she fell on her face, but accidents happen. My mom hit me a few times and i've falling on my ass. Big whoop. My real mom and my other siblings were brought up with my mom not disciplining them and they ran over her.. my dad on the other hand wouldn't let that happen and they treated him with respect and wouldn't do a thing in his house.

just like chris rock says "beat your kids!" :P

Yes, I do. But I'm still gonna spank my kids.

Here's the thing: I spank my daughter, too. But when I do it, it's after repeated warnings and time-outs have failed. I tell her that the next time she does _____ I'm going to spank her bottom. If she does it again, I send her to her room, wait a few minutes so I'm not angry, and pop her once, lightly on the butt. I've spanked her maybe twice in her life, only as a last resort.

I don't butt my head in when what people are doing falls in the normal confines of discipline. This sawed-off asshole fucking battered a six year old for a simple mistake. And if he did that, you can only imagine what goes on in their home. Jesus.

Dude, i would of called the police on the spot, you totally did the right thing. I don't agree with hitting at all, but for those that choose to there is a big difference from a tap on the leg to a full on beating. It should be the gesture of the act not the physical pain caused.

This kind of stuff really pisses me off, as do parents who swear at their children, it's fucking disgraceful.

Yes, I do. But I'm still gonna spank my kids.

Here's the thing: I spank my daughter, too. But when I do it, it's after repeated warnings and time-outs have failed. I tell her that the next time she does _____ I'm going to spank her bottom. If she does it again, I send her to her room, wait a few minutes so I'm not angry, and pop her once, lightly on the butt. I've spanked her maybe twice in her life, only as a last resort.

I don't butt my head in when what people are doing falls in the normal confines of discipline. This sawed-off asshole fucking battered a six year old for a simple mistake. And if he did that, you can only imagine what goes on in their home. Jesus.

Casey, i really think you'd hate my parents (well my dad's passed, but you get the meaning) and the disciplinary action they took on their kids if you saw it.. it doesn't sound any different than what you saw. Except my dad wouldn't touch the girls, my mom would whip them.

hahaha.. time outs? lol. if my mom heard that she'd laugh out loud. (she's old).. she's probably say "son, you ever heard of a switch.. now that's better than a belt."

then again the time and place i grew up, we'd physically get paddled in school lol. And the school didn't need the parents permission to physically discipline them. It was the parents responsibility to let the school know they couldn't be paddled. I saw the paddle so many times, I could tell you how many holes it had in it, how thick it was, and what kind of wood it was made out of ... along with the lacquer that coated it. lol. agh.. good times.

you did a good thing, casey.

i fucking hate a parent who think s/he is an owner of kid.

i also anti violence with children.

i ever saw some shit like this when i cross the road, a parent who ride a motorbike and his son sit in front of him and he blame the kid so hard with always hit the kid's head all the way while he rides....

I don't think I'd hate them Mike, my mom used to spank the shit out of me, too until I was about ten (dad wasn't around). The thing is, I wasn't any more disciplined than kids whose parents talked about things with them and disciplined them without using their hands. And the more I examined my life and how I was when I was a teenager thru young adulthood, I realized that if I had been treated like a human being instead of property, then I would not have gone through half the trauma I did, and would have been way better adjusted.

That said, I've been a parent for two years and I already see how much of a crap shoot most decisions are. You cannot guess the impact one action is going to have, let alone a series of them. If someone else had my parents, they might have turned out completely different. People do the best they can. Where I draw the line is a six year old faceplanting on concrete because her walking steroid of a father got pissed that the kid didn't shut the door on his penis extension.

See that's the thing.. where does physical discipline and talking to kids meet.. My friends all grew up perfectly fine and had great parents and they didn't so much as get a spanking their whole life. then theres the other half that got switched, paddled, slapped, hit, etc, and turned out just as well. I really think kids need to know at a young age there are consequences, and talking to them doesnt always help. A little pain goes a long way sometimes..

see a kid faceplanting is a bit much. maybe if i saw it i'd probably think differently. I fell a few times being hit in public. Once i actually hit my forehead on the bar at Burger Chef when my mom whipped me in line because i didn't want a happy meal but a regular burger and was all sore about it and complaining (i was 8) the toys sucked anyway... I think maybe that's why i hear about this i don't see it as that bad because maybe the parent held her wrong when she was spanked and she fell. To others it seems worse. Again, i wasn't there so...

I don't think I'd hate them Mike, my mom used to spank the shit out of me, too until I was about ten (dad wasn't around). The thing is, I wasn't any more disciplined than kids whose parents talked about things with them and disciplined them without using their hands. And the more I examined my life and how I was when I was a teenager thru young adulthood, I realized that if I had been treated like a human being instead of property, then I would not have gone through half the trauma I did, and would have been way better adjusted.

That said, I've been a parent for two years and I already see how much of a crap shoot most decisions are. You cannot guess the impact one action is going to have, let alone a series of them. If someone else had my parents, they might have turned out completely different. People do the best they can. Where I draw the line is a six year old faceplanting on concrete because her walking steroid of a father got pissed that the kid didn't shut the door on his penis extension.

See that's the thing.. where does physical discipline and talking to kids meet.. My friends all grew up perfectly fine and had great parents and they didn't so much as get a spanking their whole life. then theres the other half that got switched, paddled, slapped, hit, etc, and turned out just as well. I really think kids need to know at a young age there are consequences, and talking to them doesnt always help. A little pain goes a long way sometimes..

see a kid faceplanting is a bit much. maybe if i saw it i'd probably think differently. I fell a few times being hit in public. Once i actually hit my forehead on the bar at Burger Chef when my mom whipped me in line because i didn't want a happy meal but a regular burger and was all sore about it and complaining (i was 8) the toys sucked anyway... I think maybe that's why i hear about this i don't see it as that bad because maybe the parent held her wrong when she was spanked and she fell. To others it seems worse. Again, i wasn't there so...

I'm kind of an anomaly because I only got spanked for about 1/2 my upbringing. I guess you can't really pinpoint which method had what effect.

One thing i do know, is that even with parents that spank their kids there's a clear line between hitting kids to make yourself feel better and to show them wrong/right. The guy tonight was an obvious bully.

I'm kind of an anomaly because I only got spanked for about 1/2 my upbringing. I guess you can't really pinpoint which method had what effect.

One thing i do know, is that even with parents that spank their kids there's a clear line between hitting kids to make yourself feel better and to show them wrong/right. The guy tonight was an obvious bully.

yea, i never got hit for the hell of it.. it was always when i did something wrong or talked back, etc..