Label owners: give me your opinion here

timwt

Ok, so all the money I have for my label is tied up with a couple projects. I really want to get a second press out of the AL4W LP though. I have left over covers and inserts, so I only need to pay for the records to be made plus set up/shipping.

What I'm trying to justify is putting a pre-order up before I order the records. What are your thoughts? I feel like it might blow up in my face, but if it works out it would be awesome.

bad idea...don't be that guy, just save the money and get them out when you can...if the band absolutely needs them then either:

1.borrow money from a bank

2.or a friend/family member, but not the mafia, that shit never gets resolved

3.have a sale and get some money in

4.put it on a credit card

to do a re-press with existing plates and all the covers and shit is not going to cost very much...and you'll need 50% down payment...dude easily done...just don't leave people in the lurch and have to do the waiting game.

Personally (although i guess no one is bothered with my opinion) I hate the idea of "pre orders".. the only pre-orders we ever do is when the release is at the pressing plant and we know the date it is due back to us is within a fortnight, and actually confirm that date on the website (and email anyone who preorders it gets a follow up email should the date go back)

I guess it depends how you class preorder too - over here in the UK, you can preorder a release from a labels website prior to the actual date it will be in record shops, but where the record is back and in stock and gets sent out straight away.. the idea of taking peoples money for something that isn't even at the pressing plant or paid for yet is completely alien to me, and i can't see what benefit it gives anyone apart from people trying to finance their pressings through it - which to me just seems like a totally wrong way to do things!