2nd Day Xmas pt1 NOTEBOOKS: Alkaline Trio,Converge

Guest admin1338560633

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were to try to make one of these (a notebook...not a taco holder, sounds like that's pretty well covered) how would I go about doing it? What does he use to cut the records? I feel like if I tried they would be all jagged and painful to hold...

I shall be attempting to figure that out as well, my friend's dad has a nice little wood-shop...I'm thinking about using some of his saws...I'll let ya know what I come up with

Guest kissthesharks
No one would need it, but it definately would make buying a gift for record/taco fans a hell of alot easier

I think the official record collector food would be pizza or burritos.

get a heavy duty exacto knife and a flat edge. measure twice, cut once :)

Exacto knife? with the amount of pressure you'd need to cut through a record seems dangerous...I'd rather use a saw, even if it's with just a hand saw, just so I can use controlled strides through the material rather than force...let the saw do the work instead of me

Have you tried this with an exacto knife with modest results out of curiosity?

Guest kissthesharks

Exacto knife? with the amount of pressure you'd need to cut through a record seems dangerous...I'd rather use a saw, even if it's with just a hand saw, just so I can use controlled strides through the material rather than force...let the saw do the work instead of me

Maybe a jigsaw?

Guest adam526

Don't cut anything with those cheap silver Exacto's, they're terrible. Exacto makes heavy duty box cutter type blades, those work really well - and I'd imagine they'd work well with a record. Just measure it out, get a flat edge and score the surface a few times, once you've made your own groove, slide through the groove with a little more pressure, keep doing this til you get through.

I'm with Scott M. on this one...I'm either gonna try my friend's Dad's Gigsaw or Bandsaw...Exactos and Box Cutters are gonna make haggard and gnarley cuts even with a straight edge...I'm actually pretty curious about Binding as well, maybe Japanese book-binding then use some sort of Fabric-styled tape for the spine? anybody else taken book-making classes?

Guest kissthesharks
I'm with Scott M. on this one...I'm either gonna try my friend's Dad's Gigsaw or Bandsaw...Exactos and Box Cutters are gonna make haggard and gnarley cuts even with a straight edge...I'm actually pretty curious about Binding as well, maybe Japanese book-binding then use some sort of Fabric-styled tape for the spine? anybody else taken book-making classes?

Either way you can sand the edges down. Amber said she was going to just buy a notebook and use it as a template, but I'm pretty sure the binding wouldn't stick. Maybe you can reinforce it? Man, I love talking about manly stuff!

[image]

LOL, yeah...nothing manlier than book-bindings/crafts...sanding the edges isn't a bad idea though, I'll be doing that either way, I think I have an extra copy of Frampton Comes Alive that's gonna be my test-go at this project...I really want to make a Photobook using Records as the front and back covers with all Music Related photography inside, but plenty of issues to work around such as whether I'm going to scan negatives and make digital prints on some shit-paper or purchase a contact print making set and do sun-prints (probably vandyke process) and all the chemicals and nice substrates to do that on...as mentioned before, pretty excited about this whole damn thing

Guest kissthesharks
LOL, yeah...nothing manlier than book-bindings/crafts...sanding the edges isn't a bad idea though, I'll be doing that either way, I think I have an extra copy of Frampton Comes Alive that's gonna be my test-go at this project...I really want to make a Photobook using Records as the front and back covers with all Music Related photography inside, but plenty of issues to work around such as whether I'm going to scan negatives and make digital prints on some shit-paper or purchase a contact print making set and do sun-prints (probably vandyke process) and all the chemicals and nice substrates to do that on...as mentioned before, pretty excited about this whole damn thing

Make sure to post photos of finished project!

i saw a tutorial a few days ago and the chick used a heavy duty box cutter...she just did several controlled strokes on it and it came out great...no sanding that i noticed. and i plan to try making one for a friend. i'm going to take off the binding and replace it with new material...i think they sell it at craft stores. then that should make the original cover easy enough to get off and use the vinyl as the new front cover. then hit it hard with the glue gun. idk if this will work its all in theory. i'm going to hit half priced books and get a shit lot of old crappy 7"s and practice :)

or if i'm feeling brave, this 12"...it's a monster. is there anyone you knew who didn't have this record??

[image]