Record cleaning machines (VPI, etc.)

chiefwahoo

I'm going to do research on the internet but I was curious if anyone has one of these. I know somebody here mentioned how great these machines are. I'd love to hear any and all knowledge/experiences/opinions on record cleaning machines. I'd also love to see a video of one in action if it exists

From what I gather, they all basically do the same thing... apply a cleaner to the record and scrub it (I know that sounds bad, but its not) and then vacuum it dry. The cheapest models are 100% manual (manual fluid application, manual rotation, etc). The more expensive models add more automation to the mix (and better build quality, I'm sure). So as long as you don't mind putting some work into it, you can buy a Nitty Gritty 1.0 for ~$330 and a used one for half that or less.

I was reading on an audiophile forum that some people prefer the Nitty Gritty models over the VPIs because of the placement of the vacuum motor, but the general consensus is both brands make good stuff. I think I'm going to go with a Nitty Gritty.

I remember seeing a video of one in action on Youtube, so if you just search for record cleaning machine or VPI or Nitty Gritty you might find it.

Has anyone used the Onzow Zerodust stylus cleaner?

http://www.needledoctor.com/Onzow-Zerodust;jsessionid=ac112b791f43d002ad8304f04f4fbe4b8be740599aa5.e3eTaxeKbh0Te34Pa38Ta38Oaxj0?sc=2&category=214

[image]

I was thinking of buying it and wanted to make sure it wasn't a waste of money.

Can't you just use one of those rubber/plastic stretchy sticky hand things that comes out of a 25¢ machine? I think I read somewhere that it's basically the same thing.