Computer peeps: virus help, please!

casey

I've got a virus on my work computer. I was on Ikea's Web site and it just flashed and now there's a black box in the center of the screen that says YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED...DO NOT USE UNTIL ALL SPYWARE HAS BEEN REMOVED.

First, does this seem familiar to anyone? I'm sure I need to be more specific, but that's pretty much all that the message says. We have an IT dept. in my company but I don't want to go through them because I don't want them to look into my internet activity at work. :-X

Can anyone offer any help, please, please?

Ooops. Links are good:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Do this.

Are you able to install software on your PC? If not, there's a portable version that you can run that doesn't install:

http://4compi.blogspot.com/2008/12/portable-malwarebytes-anti-malware-131.html

If it doesn't work let us know.

Are you using IE?

Thanks doodz. I can install software if I remove it immediately. The head of the IT dept. is the owner/President's son so I have to be super covert about anything having to do with the computers. I'll try the malwarebytes and let you guys know what happens. Thanks again.

If the IT guy is worth anything, he already knows what you're doing, haha.

Hey Casey...is it this lovely message on your screen?

[image]

I got this right after going to and clicking on the VC board Saturday night.

I couldn't get rid of it on my system. Pretty much fucked. Had to take it to a PC Professor place.

Here's hoping it's fixable...

That's exactly the message I've got. Did you do a malware scan like mentioned above. I have one running on the machine right now. How much did the place charge you to fix it and how long did it take?

I ran malware and also virus scan and spyware. Picked up a few "infections", cleared them... but then when I re-booted, it went back to this. And it kept kicking up the "Internet Security 2010" message nonsense.

The place I took it to...well, my brother took it yesterday...charges $145. They usually take about a week or so if it's fixable. But with the holidays and all that, they set the expectation that maybe for next week.

I ran malware and also virus scan and spyware. Picked up a few "infections", cleared them... but then when I re-booted, it went back to this. And it kept kicking up the "Internet Security 2010" message nonsense.

The place I took it to...well, my brother took it yesterday...charges $145. They usually take about a week or so if it's fixable. But with the holidays and all that, they set the expectation that maybe for next week.

Shit man, I just checked the machine and it's clean. All it took was the malwarebytes program.

Shit man, I just checked the machine and it's clean. All it took was the malwarebytes program.

we use malwarebytes @ work. as long as it's up to date it usually works like a champ. there is also something called Computer Repair Utility Kit v2 that works very well too.

Now that I have my PC back...yeah...I didn't see your post Scott, thanks for the offer and hopefully will not have to take you up on it, know what I mean?...but, what is a solid security/anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-everything that I can get? Free or otherwise.

I am not taking another chance.

Now that I have my PC back...yeah...I didn't see your post Scott, thanks for the offer and hopefully will not have to take you up on it, know what I mean?...but, what is a solid security/anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-everything that I can get? Free or otherwise.

I am not taking another chance.

Microsoft's new free one.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

It's free and it does the trick quite well from what I've heard. I've been suggesting it to a lot of people with no complaints.

Guest eriathomas

I love MSE. I switched from AVG9 to it, since AVG became a huge resource hog, and MSE barely takes up any.

I only run MSE, and Spybot, though I never actually run Spybot I have it just in case.