receiver question

Guest eriathomas

Guest eriathomas

I have an old Marantz 2215b that needs a lot of work. The power button has to be taped down since it no longer sticks in, only one audio input works, and a few other misc problems. My Grandmother gave me $500 for Christmas, and told me to put part of it towards getting my receiver fixed, or buying a new one. My questions is, is it better to try to get this one fixed, or maybe try to buy a new one or maybe another vintage one? I'm not looking to spend more then $150-200 if possible.

Yeah, you're probably better off getting a new one. If you look at the top receivers on Amazon, quite a few of them are below $250. I'm sure some of them are more than you need, but read a few reviews and see what works best for you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/281053/ref=pd_ts_e_bcrm_281053

You can get a good vintage tube integrated in good shape for under $300 and it will sound great! Go to audiogon.com and do some searches for Eico, Sansui (you're looking for vintage, tube integrateds), HH Scott, and Fisher.

I have a Scott 222C that I picked up for $230. I wound up spending another $250 on repairs but they were for custom items that aren't really necessary for the average user. It sounds amazing and it looks cool.

You cannot get ANYTHING brand new for less than $300 that can touch the quality of a vintage tube amp for the same price.

Yeah, you're probably better off getting a new one. If you look at the top receivers on Amazon, quite a few of them are below $250. I'm sure some of them are more than you need, but read a few reviews and see what works best for you.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/281053/ref=pd_ts_e_bcrm_281053

These are home theater, multi-channel receivers and aren't needed or useful for stereo listening.

Home Theatre can run 2 channels as well as 8... If they have a phono preamp, they can be used.

Dont discount a receiver just because it does not have a built in pre-amp / phono-input. You can always buy a pre-amp.

I would personally recommend that you get a new receiver and spend most of that money you got. A nice receiver you only use on your turntable now will be very nice when you get your own place and want to hook up a nice tv and your stereo system in the same room.