record plants and sleeve plants

Hey.

I will be pressing 500 records soon and would like to know what everyone else has used before and the cheapest routes to go. The package deals probably don't save you any money but they are tempting.

I'm looking at Pirates Press and United...

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the previous ones....

Bitter Melody records is a go!

I would go with United if I were you. Pirates Press does some cool stuff, but you're gonna be paying out the ass for stuff you don't need unless you really have the money for it. United has upped the quality a lot since I started using them 5 or 6 years ago, and they are the cheapest direct plant to go through, I believe.

For jackets, do not use anyone besides the aformentioned www.iloveimprint.com Unlike other places, low quality jackets aren't standard, they don't even carry them. Everything always feels and looks amazing and the jackets have huge spines and don't feel flimsy. The prices are also unbeatable. It costs $900 something for 1000 full color jackets and 1000 inserts.

okay its 1310 for 500 randomly mixed colored vinyl from united and imprint is 575 for 500 lp jackets.....plus shipping on both...

united has a special for 1999 that is mixed color vinyl 500 plus jackets and shrinkwrapped and that includes shipping

Has anyone gotten their jackets pressed at united? it says they use 20 pt board stock with 4mm spine.

aaron...who presses team science records?

Honestly.

It depends on the Job.

I have used:

Pirates(Great guys)

Musicol(Sketchy but cheap)

Rainbo(Probably wouldnt use them again, but the best quality LPS)

United (Works fine for me, but I figured out how to press through them)

A&r(New semi local plant Im trying)

Record Pressing(.....)

I would do these things in this order:

LUCKY LAQUERS or AArdvark Mastering

Rainbo

Iloveimprint for Jackets and Labels

Deadformat or Vinyldownloads for Digital downloads

Imprint for Jackets

Rainbo for pressing,

however I love the service at Pirates Press,

its your money, the MTS Blink gatefold's got printed at Imprint and they are fucking awesome quality and finish.

I have never used united, however records that I have purchased that have been pressed at united are okay, the regular ones skip on my turn table for some reason on the first two songs (however my turntable is on the fritz), but the 150 grams don't or the 180 grams.

you will learn lots as you go, we all make mistakes, each press your learn something different.

Im sure shrink wrapping records are not necessary. We got ours done cause it was included, next time we wont.

I would go with United if I were you. Pirates Press does some cool stuff, but you're gonna be paying out the ass for stuff you don't need unless you really have the money for it. United has upped the quality a lot since I started using them 5 or 6 years ago, and they are the cheapest direct plant to go through, I believe.

For jackets, do not use anyone besides the aformentioned www.iloveimprint.com Unlike other places, low quality jackets aren't standard, they don't even carry them. Everything always feels and looks amazing and the jackets have huge spines and don't feel flimsy. The prices are also unbeatable. It costs $900 something for 1000 full color jackets and 1000 inserts.

United really isn't that cheap. From what I've seen, their vinyl is still subpar, and they nickle and dime you to death. Setup fees for everything, and their 180 gram is really expensive, especially if you want to do colors.

That special they have for 2000.00 for 500 records, isn't really all that good. Most plants can beat that with their regular pricing.

I would never use URP again.

Gotta Groove records is a new plant in Cleveland that does quality work. Their 12" are nice, but wouldn't use em for 7's.

But yeah, Lucky+Mastercraft+A+R, or Lucky+Rainbo are cheaper, and since what's his name finally got the boot from Rainbo, things over there are running very smooth.

United really isn't that cheap. From what I've seen, their vinyl is still subpar, and they nickle and dime you to death. Setup fees for everything, and their 180 gram is really expensive, especially if you want to do colors.

That special they have for 2000.00 for 500 records, isn't really all that good. Most plants can beat that with their regular pricing.

I would never use URP again.

Gotta Groove records is a new plant in Cleveland that does quality work. Their 12" are nice, but wouldn't use em for 7's.

But yeah, Lucky+Mastercraft+A+R, or Lucky+Rainbo are cheaper, and since what's his name finally got the boot from Rainbo, things over there are running very smooth.

exactly.

I thought I should clarify about Gotta Groove Records. I didn't mean I would never use them for 7's. I just have never seen any 7 inches from them, to my knowledge.

Their 12's are high quality, but I have no idea about their 7's. I believe for the moment they are outsourced?

Anyway, a lot of engineers have been recomending them lately, I'm using them for the Suck and Bloat release.

Okay. I am price checking a lot of things. So far it seems cheaper to do a United package deal as opposed to mastering one place, pressing at another, and sleeves at another. It seems much more sensible to do it all one place than to be dealing with 3. Does anyone have specific problems with united? Their lp sleeves are the same specs (20 pt board, 4 mm spine). If someone knows of a certain problem please let me know. Imprint seems like a cool place....Is the shipping on 500 sleeves very high?

Okay. I am price checking a lot of things. So far it seems cheaper to do a United package deal as opposed to mastering one place, pressing at another, and sleeves at another. It seems much more sensible to do it all one place than to be dealing with 3. Does anyone have specific problems with united? Their lp sleeves are the same specs (20 pt board, 4 mm spine). If someone knows of a certain problem please let me know. Imprint seems like a cool place....Is the shipping on 500 sleeves very high?

The prices at Imprint's website are all ppd.

United is 20 minutes down the road from me and I went through Dave/Lucky Lacquers then Rainbo. Rianbo is better quality and was actually cheaper including shipping than it would have been for me to go and pick up all the records fro United. Also Imprint was awesome to work with and I think that $575 for 500 jackets includes shipping.

ok....I'm still waiting on my Rainbo price quote

it would be cheaper to use Dave at Lucky Lacquers to place your order at rainbo and have him do your lacquers too or A+R, however you will need to get plates made at Mastercraft to use A+R.

I think Justin Communique uses Mastercraft for plates.