Record Store of the Month Magic Bullet Records & S

Guest admin1338560633

[image]

Photo by : Justin Reiff

I'm happy to bring you our January Record Store of the Month, Magic Bullet Records & Skateboards. You no doubt are familiar with the name Magic Bullet Records as they have been releasing incredible records for years from an eclectic variety of artists. Well, late in 2009, Brent Eyestone and his brother Mark decided to make some huge changes when turning Mark's Skate shop into a Record store and Skateboard shop. It isn't the first record label to start a retail store, but it is one of the only Record Store/Skate shops I know of. I am sure that this idea can be taken into other communities.

I hope that this interview inspires you to think about starting your own retail outlet in your community. Brent has a great insight on how he wanted to run his store based off of his years of experience. He discusses how the store came to be, how he runs his store differently than other record stores, and what they do to invest in there customers. They work harder on the interaction with customers than the transaction and you have to respect that. If you run a label and have though about starting up a store, read this interview. You might find yourself considering reaching out to your local skate shops and see if they might be receptive to doing something similar. I am sure most skate shops are struggling and joining forces makes it easier for both entities to do something positive.

Thanks Brent for taking the time to do this interview. I wish you guys the best of luck in 2010. The shop's Facebook page (has the address, hours, phone #, etc. etc.): http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fredericksburg-VA/Magic-Bullet-Records-and-Skateboards-Retail-Store/197259370968

Click the link to read the interview.

http://www.vinylcollective.com/2010/01/07/january-record-store-of-the-month-magic-bullet-records-skateboards/

I just used google maps and it says i'm two hours away (i live by winchester, va) and I definitely plan on making a trip sometime soon for some good vinyl! If only winchester's "Ear Food" could update their damn records and blow the dust off the current haha -- either way I'm glad somewhere in VA there's a good record store (besides the very few hot topic carries).

Good luck with everything buddy! Common Cold is the best!

Also MB put out what I think is the most slept on album in years. If you haven't heard that Disappearer record and you're into heavy music you're kidding yourself with those top ten lists. Go to Gimmiesound.com and listen to it for free and then go to the magic bullet site and buy the record if its still available.

Also MB put out what I think is the most slept on album in years. If you haven't heard that Disappearer record and you're into heavy music you're kidding yourself with those top ten lists. Go to Gimmiesound.com and listen to it for free and then go to the magic bullet site and buy the record if its still available.

This. Album is so good.

Thanks for saying that. I couldn't agree with the sentiment more. It's absolutely the best heavy record I have ever put out, no question. First press of the 2xLP is still available at http://www.magicbulletrecords.com/mailorder.html

Christie Front Drive is about three weeks away!

[image]

oh shit. For some reason I thought it was last month. Looks like I might me making a trip to Fredericksburg soon.

I have trouble getting my lazy ass out to shows anymore, but I am so stoked that I went to the Christie Front Drive reunion show a couple years ago in Denver. It was one of those experiences where you get lost in place and time. I felt like it was 1995 all over again.