I knew this was going to happen...

I think about this a lot -- whether or not we as an American people are doomed. And while there's always been plenty of arguments in favor of labeling youth idiots (and most of them are), we were also idiots when we were younger. There will always be idiots.

I went to public school my whole life before going to a private college. I flunked a few classes, didn't do my homework, cheated on a test or two, didn't take my education seriously (I'm talking about both high school and college), yet I consider myself a decently bright dude. School doesn't make you smart; school helps you get the spark to seek out knowledge on your own. Some kids have that spark, and some kids don't. Formal education, whether it be private or public, will never change that.

A lot of us are stupid. Some of us are less stupid. The end.

I see what he means, but have they ( older generations) not been saying this for generations?

maybe necessary information for the entire human race is changing. its only natural to fear change. and write it off as a dumbing down. this old man just might not be able to connect to kids as well as he used to and now there is a national dumbing down.

my girlfriend is going to be a teacher. right now she works after her classes in a after-school kids program with 3 - 5 graders. she has a few kids who don't know the seasons. and they're 11 years old. they couldn't spell michael. 11 years old. seriously... its sad. Its not so much the kids fault as it is the parents fault for not doing their part. Just because a kid goes to school does not mean parents should not teach their children as well. Maybe I was the odd one out, but my parents helped me every few nights with my homework in school, and it helped. From what Natalie told me, her kids teachers just go through the material and if a kid has a question, they don't really go back more than one time because they have to cover so much material for state testing and shit that its counter productive.