Anyone here planning on going to SXSW next year?

Last year was fucking killer. Got to see Mew twice, and These Arms Are Snakes in a tiny, tiny club. The Hydra Head showcase was good, too. I can't wait to see the lineup for '08.

Did you get yourself a bracelet, buy tickets, or pay for convention attendance?

Bracelet. My brother lives in Austin so he got them for me.

What's the deal with wristbands? Please explain.

SXSW is basically a big conference/festival hybrid across a few days and many, many venues in the downtown Austin area. Even places that aren't real music venues hold shows, like this huge awesome old school church where I saw the Watson Twins and Keren Ann. You can pay admission to each show, but if you get a wristband, that's your admission into any show, as long as it's not at capacity. The cool thing is though, if someone leaves you can get in. The thing is, you can only buy a wristband if you're a resident of Austin. My brother lives there, so he bought ours for us this year.

There's a 2-bracelet limit per person, but like I said before, I know other people there who could probably help out. If I remember correctly, they cost $175 each. I know it seems like a lot, but think about the number of shows you'll see in the span of 5 days. Trust me, if the lineup is as good as it was this year, it's totally worth it.

Oh, I also forgot; bracelets get priority over paid admission. So they form separate lines at the door, letting bracelet and pass people go before those trying to pay. So a show might "sell out", meaning fill to capacity before anyone waiting to pay even gets in. It's pretty nice.

sounds awesome. so just by living in Austin you save like $300 over buying a music pass and get the same privileges?

Sorta. The pass gets you into absolutely everything, like panels with guest/"celebrity" speakers, and pass-only parties, and they get priority over bracelets, but we never had any issues getting into shows.