Anyone here planning on going to SXSW next year?

Don't forget day shows. I live in Austin and rarely go to the club shows. Most bands play at least twice while in town. I saw Melvins, BigBusiness, Boris, Pelican, and Panthers last year during the day for free.

Haha, I was just about to get to that. The free day parties are awesome, but some are pass/wristband only, and some you have to RSVP for. This year I just watched all the blogs/showlists to keep up with who was playing where and made a schedule. But yeah, a lot of them have free beer and/or food, too. Totally sweet.

If people are going to gather for this, Count me in. I'd be down for a bracelet and room and such.

I've always wanted to go, but never really had the opportunity to take the time off to do so. Shit I'll even start saving now. So I have a nice vinyl budget :)

Edit: I may not be able to attend the whole thing though.. depends how much vacation time I have by then. When is the best time to go. Beginning half or End half?

If people are going to gather for this, Count me in. I'd be down for a bracelet and room and such.

I've always wanted to go, but never really had the opportunity to take the time off to do so. Shit I'll even start saving now. So I have a nice vinyl budget :)

Edit: I may not be able to attend the whole thing though.. depends how much vacation time I have by then. When is the best time to go. Beginning half or End half?

for music, the end half.

for music, the end half.

Yeah, and the best shows are usually Friday and Saturday.

Oh man, just thinking about SXSW makes my feet hurt. '07 was my first year down there, and among other things, I lost my voice twice over the course of the fest, as well as woke up each morning feeling like I had walked five miles in my sleep.

But yeah, SXSW is pretty rad -- I was lucky enough to have my job buy me a pass, which means I got into shows over ronnie. :)

How are the lines to get into shows and what not? Is it absurd? I missed some bands at the Fest this year because I was stuck waiting and I don't want that to happen if I'm spending $200 for a bracelet.

I'd be interested in going -- I'd need to stay in a hotel with some people though, as none of my friends from here would want to go.

Oh man, just thinking about SXSW makes my feet hurt. '07 was my first year down there, and among other things, I lost my voice twice over the course of the fest, as well as woke up each morning feeling like I had walked five miles in my sleep.

But yeah, SXSW is pretty rad -- I was lucky enough to have my job buy me a pass, which means I got into shows over ronnie. :)

I had pass last year too. It was nice to be able to just walk right in to shows. I felt very important.

#3 IS JELIZZZZZZ

How are the lines to get into shows and what not? Is it absurd? I missed some bands at the Fest this year because I was stuck waiting and I don't want that to happen if I'm spending $200 for a bracelet.

I'd be interested in going -- I'd need to stay in a hotel with some people though, as none of my friends from here would want to go.

It just depends on the show and the venue -- getting into, say, Stubb's doesn't take long because it's huge (and that's where bands like Bloc Party, the Stooges, Buzzcocks, Lily Allen, etc. played last year). But some of the tinier clubs fill up to cap. so quickly and then it's reduced to one in, one out (and badges have priority over wristbands). I learned really quickly to plan on having a backup show for every regular show I wanted to get into, just in case.

There's also a TON of unofficial/unsanctioned shows/parties that go on during the day and at night all over town, and 99.9% of them are free -- there's actually a website dedicated to letting you plan out an entirely free SXSW experience.

It just depends on the show and the venue -- getting into, say, Stubb's doesn't take long because it's huge (and that's where bands like Bloc Party, the Stooges, Buzzcocks, Lily Allen, etc. played last year). But some of the tinier clubs fill up to cap. so quickly and then it's reduced to one in, one out (and badges have priority over wristbands). I learned really quickly to plan on having a backup show for every regular show I wanted to get into, just in case.

There's also a TON of unofficial/unsanctioned shows/parties that go on during the day and at night all over town, and 99.9% of them are free -- there's actually a website dedicated to letting you plan out an entirely free SXSW experience.

Yeah I basically had every band/time that I'd be interested in seeing, so in case one show was full I'd have other options.