The Hold Steady Announce New Album!!!

http://pitchfork.com/news/37988-the-hold-steady-announce-new-album-iheaven-is-wheneveri/

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Like hyper-wordy, classic-rocking clockwork, the Hold Steady's fifth album-- dubbed Heaven Is Whenever-- is due out May 4 via Vagrant (May 3 via Rough Trade in Europe). For this record, the band re-teamed with producer Dean Baltulonis, who manned the boards on 2005's Separation Sunday and engineered their debut, Almost Killed Me. It's also the band's first album since Almost Killed Me that doesn't feature keyboardist Franz Nicolay-- who left the group in September-- as a full-time member.

Talking about the record in a press release, guitarist Tad Kubler said, "I think this is a guitar heavy record. But I would NOT say this is a heavy guitar record. The main objective being not to make the same record as the one previous. I love Boys and Girls and Stay Positive. But they have a very similar feel and sound." He also cited jazz composer Terence Blanchard and Jon Brion as influences. Meanwhile, singer-lyricist Craig Finn calls Heaven Is Whenever "less anthemic and more complex." Sounds like there may not be as many "whoa-oh-oh" hooks this time, eh?

Click below to check out the new album's tracklist and all current Hold Steady tour dates:

Heaven Is Whenever:

01 The Sweet Part of the City

02 Soft in the Center

03 The Weekenders

04 The Smidge

05 Rock Problems

06 We Can Get Together

07 Hurricane J

08 Barely Breathing

09 Our Whole Lives

10 A Slight Discomfort

The Hold Steady:

04-02 Ardsley, NY - LIFE

04-03 New Haven, CT - Toad's Place

04-05 Burlington, VT - Higher Ground

04-06 Northampton, MA - Pearl Street

04-07 Albany, NY - Linda Norris Auditorium

04-08 Woodstock, NY - Bearsville Theater

04-09 Jermyn, PA - Eleanor Rigby's

04-10 Syracuse, NY - The Westcott Theater

04-12 Rochester, NY - The Club at Water Street Music Hall

04-13 Cleveland, OH - Beachland Ballroom

04-14 Pittsburgh, PA - Diesel Club Lounge

04-15 Morgantown, WV - 123 Pleasant St.

04-16 Harrisburg, PA - Appalachian Brewing Company

05-05 Los Angeles, CA - El Rey Theatre

05-06 San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore

05-29 George, WA - Sasquatch Festival

06-12 Newport, England - Isle of Wright Festival

06-14 Paris, France - Fleche D'Or

06-21 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Melkeg

06-22 London, England - HMV Forum

06-26 Manchester, England - Academy 2

I've been seeing a lot of tours make some interesting stops lately and this one is no exception. I've never even heard of Jermyn, PA.

It's like all of the second and third tier cities are suddenly getting some love. Except in Florida. Everyone always ignores that state, especially below I-4.

Sweet!!!

I'll be at the Morgantown show fo sho. Probably go to the Pittsburgh date too.

I'm thinking about going to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Morgantown. It depends on if the Pens have any playoff games, but I'll def. be at Pittsburgh.

Spring in Pittsburgh. Forgot about the idea of scheduling life around Pens games.

I've been seeing a lot of tours make some interesting stops lately and this one is no exception. I've never even heard of Jermyn, PA.

That venue they're playing, Elanor Rigby's, has been getting a bunch of shows lately -- I think it's a pretty new place, and I also think it's relatively small (like under 500 cap).

Dont get me wrong here dude, the Hold Steady is most likely my favourite band of all time. I dont mind them being popular, I have a problem if they are going to water down their sound to appeal to people who listen to dave matthews band.

To me, Franz was an integral part of the band, both on the albums and at shows. The void thats going to be left will be damn hard to fill, even by Kubler and his incredible jams.

I guess we will find out in may. I might have to eat my words.