Stuff to do on O'ahu?

So...my friend is going to O'ahu and wanted suggestions of stuff to do. I lived there when I was a kid and I absolutely love it there...but I have a completely different perspective on it than someone who will just have a week to hang out and do stuff. I also don't necessarily recall all the specific places I loved checking out. If I went back, I'd probably spend time hiking and biking at all the old off-the-tourist-radar places I liked. I figure maybe someone here lives there, maybe a few of you have visited...what should I tell her not to miss?

For me, personally...I dislike touristy shit anyway. I told her to just try to get a feel for the soul of the place. It will make you feel like a different person if you let it. I don't really understand the people that just go there and buy shitty T-shirts from street vendors, hang out at the tourist spots, buy all the shit they need from wal mart, and generally just do the most superficial stuff, or treat everything like it's just kitschy and dumb. "Oh look Harold, a grass skirt! Take a picture!" Dumb.

So long story short, I switched toothpastes, and now my gums don't bleed anymore.

Oh man. And plate lunch. Both good suggestions.

The haole version of malasadas are paczki...not quite the same, but yeah, that's what we have here. And she doesn't like them, so I'm not putting that on the list.

I did write, "if you absolutely HAVE to eat at a McDonald's, at least get sai min."

http://www.yelp.com/biz/graces-inn-honolulu - Loved Grace's plate lunch. (we have L&L's here and while good it just isn't the same)

http://www.zippys.com/ - while its essentially the dennys of hawaii i'd still call this a must.

http://www.shokudojapanese.com/ - sushi pizza and honey toast

this is why i'm fat.

i'll ask my girlfriend for actual non food related suggestions. she has family there and has been many times so i think she has a better vibe for less touristy stuff. i'd be a nerd and tell someone to go to dakine bail bonds to run into Dog and Beth. my highlight from my first visit was discovering the deliciousness that is the pineapple at the Dole plantation when I was 6.

I'm fond of Oahu, been there about 10 times in the last 2 years for work, and also got married there earlier this year.

I love the L&L plate lunch, and get it every time I'm there. Also, while touristy, the hike up Diamond Head gives you a really nice view at the end. It's really nice to get out of Waikiki and just drive around the whole island too.

kaneohe bay sandbar : a beach in the middle of the ocean almost, but she has to know someone with a boat... it's a pretty cool place if you have a few ppl and can get out

round top / tantalus dr : spectacular view. i didn't drve all the way around, but just along the way there's some places to stop and just take in the view. really close to honolulu

rent a moped.. pretty fun

boots & kimo's : banana macadamia nut pancakes are really good. plus, the interior is totally decked out with denver broncos stuff

sandy beach: great for body surfing, plus lots of good looking girls every time i went

for the more adventurous.. sky diving and cliff jumping