What are your religious beliefs?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[image]

You know that part where you said "you can't pick and choose parts of the Bible to follow?" That part. I think you conveniently chose to ignore where I said, the old testament states that women should be stoned to death for disobeying their husbands, children should be executed for mocking their parents and a bunch of other gems. You obviously don't choose to follow these parts of the Bible.

I'd also like to see the exact passage in the New Testament that discounts homosexuality. You still also never answered me if the Bible says WHY it's wrong either.

I'm honestly just trying to understand this because I see NO justification for it at all whatsoever. Your argument is basically saying the same as if someone in the 60s was saying the civil rights movement would have been a non issue before and it was just the media making the acceptance and equal treatment of everyone who isn't white natural and normal.

That womens' rights were only made natural and normal because of the media. You cannot argue that the Bible is incredibly misogynistic and that it basically states that women should be subservient to men.

No one is telling you to justify your religion. It is yours and yours alone and that's fair enough. But I'm asking you genuine questions because I'm seeing contradictions in your arguments and I'm sure as hell going to point them out.

Sorry I'm busy and not explaining myself well. I don't pick and choose things. The points you mention were under the mosaic law which was done away with after jesus. And what would you take as an accectable answer for my beliefs. And I can find a scripture but I'd have to research a little. Believe it or not I don't have all these scriptures memorized.

^Heh, that's true Adam. At least...when it comes to the homosexuality argument for me.

What I'm getting at is EVERYONE picks and chooses stuff from the Bible. Every single christian in the universe. And there's a good number of them who find the old testament to have a lot of law...like mosaic law to be out dated. I know a lot of people who follow the teachings of christ who don't think homosexuality is wrong because they learned from the teachings of christ love and tolerance of other people and that everyone is a sinner.

The only argument I could come to understand against homosexuality is that it is a form of sexual deviancy because sex is to be ONLY used for reproduction. This means the person with this belief would not agree with using birth control or even having sex for pleasure or as a way to connect further with their partner.

Really what it all boils down to is if someone is condemning me and my fellow queers to eternal hellfire or think a big part of who we are is wrong I want to know exactly why.

lol whatever dude. I enjoy my religion and it makes me happy and feel good. You feel good by calling out people with beliefs on the internet. Do what you love. I could care less if your gay, thats your deal. I'm not here to judge, I just said what I believe according to my interpretation of the bible

Guest eriathomas

I'm Agnostic, but was raised Catholic. I went to Catholic school all the way through high school, which I think is the main reason I changed from Catholic to Agnostic.

We don't believe in hell at least lol. Sorry of I offended you. People asked an I tried to avoid the question buttht wasn't enough. Yes jesus taught accecptance aNd tolerance. I'm not persucuting gays and judging you. Just stating whAt I think

It's not so much offense. It's just maybe my insatiable urge to try and understand things. So I ask why. I point out contradictions.

When you spend a lot of your life made to believe your existence (or a person you care about's) is wrong you end up spending a lot of time wanting to find out why. Believe me, nothing you have said has been awful and horrible like I've heard come out of some peoples' mouths. For the most part anytime I come across someone who thinks homosexuality is wrong, I just really want to get into why. I want to understand it.

That said..I'm not really homosexual persay in a biological sense. I'm genderqueer which means I choose to not have a gender. Technically to an extent that makes me transgendered. I'm really not trying to derail this thread into gender discussion. I choose to defy gender binary and they usually lump those of us who do in with the gays...even if being trans doesn't necessarily result in that. All in all people who think homosexuality wrong typically think this is wrong as well. And they don't call it LGBT for nothing. Really I only consider myself female in body only...from a biological standpoint which is your sex, not your gender.

A few things:

Yes I find it unnatural. I believe the media today is making it seem natural and normal where as it has always been something frowned upon. If I stated this opinion 20 years ago it would be a non issue.

If I stated that black people were lesser beings and should be forced to use separate public facilities 60 years ago, it would be a non-issue! Yet these coloreds are always getting mad at me when I share my thoughts! WTF!

It's possible to be Christian and not a bigot, BTW. I have no problem with gay couples and have a hard time understanding why almost everyone I know has a problem with two people being in a stable committed relationship and receiving the same basic legal rights as them.

We don't believe in hell at least lol. Sorry of I offended you. People asked an I tried to avoid the question buttht wasn't enough. Yes jesus taught accecptance aNd tolerance. I'm not persucuting gays and judging you. Just stating whAt I think

Wait, wut? Of all the things to remove from the Bible, removing hell is just bizarre to me. It's kind mentioned a LOT.

In general, I think most Christians who obsess over hot topics like abortion, homosexuality, blah blah blah, concentrate too hard on specific teachings and fail to recognize the basic principles, namely

>Mankind is evil

>God is good; God loves man

>Love God

>Love your neighbor

well I have no idea what the bible says about that lol. I can understand that your curious. A lot of peple are curious and thats why we go door to door. In this case I doubt I managed to shed any positive light on anything related to JW but when we talk to people door to door we do get people who are just curious what the bible says and thats all we do.

We're not trying to convert people and we're not trying to get money or anything. Honestly, we are just trying to get people to read the bible.

People on this bored don't really seem to follow the bible so all my points and opinions are moot.

claps for you Alex. That's also what I was getting at. I brought up the black people thing as well but he ignored it. But I know plenty of people who are christian who think the way you do and I have no problem with them or their religion.

and

Also, Tanüsker chü is the best posted on this board.

Heh, shucks.

Hell is not mentioned once in the bible. They talk of sheol and hades which is defined as the human grave, e.g just a state or unconsciousness .

and tanusker - i didn't ignore it. Probably just missed it. Been kinda taking a lot of heat and getting blasted from every direction over here

I was hoping mattstrike wouldn't come in here. They're the only person on this bored who has helped me with my questions. Sorry I end everything with lol, just trying to lighten the mood. I really believe in so much more than homosexuality and abortion and stuff. I can agree with what alex said. Those are my main beliefs and thats what makes me feel good

Thanks rad. I really tried not to get into this

Seriously, give the guy a break. Asking the guy his opinions and immediately attacking him is pretty mean.

I wasn't attacking him. I might have gotten a little frustrated at first, but I tend to get really passionate about LGBT issues.

I was just asking questions and trying to understand it as I've said a bunch of times. A lot of my questions went unanswered. i can only speak for myself. I know a few other people may ahve been harsh but I was only asking questions.

Thanks Nicole.

I have a migraine and really didn't feel like mustering the strength to lambaste that bullshit.

I do want to say, though, that I have a suspicion that pimp is jakie - notice how every sentence ends with "lol"?

<3 you. Feel better. In the near future I would love to hang out. I miss you.

yes, religious beliefs=bigotry

::)

No, not all religious beliefs = bigotry. Your beliefs about homosexuality = bigotry.

not to mention your bigotry of religion.

Criticizing someone's viewpoints does not equal bigotry. This argument fails for two reasons. (1) Me criticizing your thought process is different than you thinking that people are born wrong; and (2) I am not trying to prevent you from receiving the same civil rights as everyone else.

You act like this is the only religion with this belief system

Really? How am I acting like that? I have the same problems with any bigot, no matter what the reason for their bigotry.