label owners-good distribution

I am looking at distribution besides my online store, who have you guys had good luck with? Paying on time, scheduled payments, not ripping you off?

There has been some talk of this but I wanted to see who I should avoid. RevHQ is one that I am looking to distribute through. Have any of you used them?

interpunk pays on time

other then that,

advertise.....

hard work etc will pay off eventually and someone picks you up, lots of big distros want a back catalog of from what I gather at least 10 - 50 releases,

I don't really blame them,

lots of places have cut the on again and off again distro and would rather just carry your whole catalog or not. I think working trades with people is a good way they get some of your stuff, you get some of theirs.

i dunno, im still a newbie

grant, revelation is a very good idea for the kind of record you are releasing.

send an email to adam over there, at: [email protected]

other good ideas for you might be deathwish, interpunk, and bis aufs messer (germany).

try emailing tre/deathwish at: [email protected], and robert/bis aufs messer at: [email protected]

Interpunk is not nearly the only distributor that will pay you on time, but they are probably the only distributor that will sell literally anything and still pay you on time.

I was going to say Revelation is your best bet, but it looks like this is your first release. If that's the case, I would tackle every other aspect of releasing the record first, and get to distribution when the time comes. I don't know how Revelation feels about picking up first releases from labels, but its surely worth a try.

Don't worry, the How To Press A Record thread isn't for questions like this, let alone have the answers you need, it's just there so you won't read it and instead make your 300th thread asking a question about how to run a label.

just so you stop complaining about this shit, because it's gotten older than people constantly asking for advice, I'm going to update the HTPAR thread to include more of this info.

You obviously haven't even read through the How To Press A Record thread then.

I did and I have commented there a few times...and I just went back through it.... I skimmed right over the couple distribution comments when I was looking yesterday. Sorry for the duplication but thanks for the responses.

I wasn't complaining. I was simply stating that as always, xgrantx makes no effort to find the information he needs. He instead instantly makes threads asking questions without looking around before doing so.

You made that thread. The whole point of making it was so that it would be a catch all thread that would eliminate the almost daily threads that were appearing. Was it not?

distro help is up:

http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44775&start=0

I've talked to Grant a couple times, but I don't know everything there is to know.

...and this is a message board, so knowing that there are a ton of people who run labels, it's really not the end of the world that he's asking or creating threads to reach out to more people at once than tracking us all down and asking one by one.

since when is Interpunk a distributor? Webstore≠distributor

Best reply in this thread. Distro≠distributor. I think the fact that no one pointed this out sooner goes to show you that people don't think about getting their records into brick and mortar stores or on chain websites.

I can never remember the name or find the website for the one that started after Lumberjack-Mordam folded. ILG?

Edit: ILC http://www.ilcdistro.com/site/

while I agree with that they're not the same, I've been trying to manage without a major distributor for the past year or so after the Choke collapse as I lost thousands of dollars in that, kinda puts a slight bit of paranoia in you, only reinforced when other distro's stop paying you on time.

Choke rarely paid anybody for anything, I was so hesitant on sending him anything to begin with because of the horrible reputation they had for paying anybody. I only lost like 1000 or something like that. Dude is a huge piece of shit.

ILC is the only distributor I have been happy with. We are exclusive with them since they opened, and I can't imagine any distributor coming close to them. They pay on time like clockwork, (give or take a couple days) and go out of their way to help with promotions, and actually pushing certain releases. Your not just a name on a list.

That said, they are really hard to get a deal with, they look for likeminded people, and there is actually a voting process to get labels in there. But it really is like a co-operative. All the labels are encouraged to provide input, there is transparency, and the guys that work there are nice as hell. It's awesome to work with people who you consider friends as opposed to a big faceless company.

Choke rarely paid anybody for anything, I was so hesitant on sending him anything to begin with because of the horrible reputation they had for paying anybody. I only lost like 1000 or something like that. Dude is a huge piece of shit.

yeah in the end I pretty much got stabbed in the back on that one. So much for helping out friends.

I was pretty damn close to just giving up, calling all the bands to come take the records and filing for bankruptcy.

Too bad Lumberjack is not around, worked out well for so many others.

I back Revelation, Revolver and Ebullition. ILC is cool too I guess, but you pretty much have to s some d to get in there.

I would imagine if Ebullition did carry my releases it'd be cool, but Kent was/is the single worst human I've ever had to deal with while running the label.

(Long story short: I emailed them a few years ag to update my address and say "hey you carried these releases from this other distro, if you need anything restocked, let me know" and he sent me the most vile "fuck you-who do you think you are?" emails I could never dream up.)

I wasn't complaining. I was simply stating that as always, xgrantx makes no effort to find the information he needs. He instead instantly makes threads asking questions without looking around before doing so.

You made that thread. The whole point of making it was so that it would be a catch all thread that would eliminate the almost daily threads that were appearing. Was it not?

i definitely wrote a bunch about this topic in that thread.

the best thing to do is to contact all the stores near you and have them carry them directly. interpunk is great. stickfigure is awesome if you can get them to carry your stuff. rev has refused to carry my stuff, so don't know how they are to deal with. ebullition isn't bad to work with...if you can get in touch with kent AND he's in a good mood that day. he just picked up my back catalog, but i've been emailing him about the newest release and he won't get back to me. vinyl junkie is really good, so is punk n junk (just re-openned). bis auf is amazing to get your stuff available in europe. he also does trades. but your stuff needs to move there. if it doesn't, he won't pick up new stuff.