HEY BRENT EYESTONE! (RE: Record Store Day)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. It's being released still, just not on RSD. This was his explanation, a direct quote from another board. I don't know how often he check VC, so sorry Brent if you didn't want this posted over here.

"I pulled all three of my titles from this. Same reasoning/observation that you've hinted at above. It's basically a major label "holiday" at this point and it seems hypocritical for all of these labels/artists that were complicit in shutting down mom & pops to suddenly be championing them. Minor point: they want their (ugly) logo on all titles.

Also a factor: all of the bands (Integrity, This Will Destroy You, All-American Rejects) have given me new, exclusive, unreleased material (no throwaways/garbage), so it's probably better served and in everyone's best interest to keep the releases in print and not necessarily limited to some beanie baby PR stunt.

I mean, when Godsmack is putting out a 7"... something's just way off. I feel like mom & pops are better served in the long run by my label giving them ample copies of a record at a reasonable price vs. a one-day cash/hype-grab."

No. It's being released still, just not on RSD. This was his explanation, a direct quote from another board. I don't know how often he check VC, so sorry Brent if you didn't want this posted over here.

"I pulled all three of my titles from this. Same reasoning/observation that you've hinted at above. It's basically a major label "holiday" at this point and it seems hypocritical for all of these labels/artists that were complicit in shutting down mom & pops to suddenly be championing them. Minor point: they want their (ugly) logo on all titles.

Also a factor: all of the bands (Integrity, This Will Destroy You, All-American Rejects) have given me new, exclusive, unreleased material (no throwaways/garbage), so it's probably better served and in everyone's best interest to keep the releases in print and not necessarily limited to some beanie baby PR stunt.

I mean, when Godsmack is putting out a 7"... something's just way off. I feel like mom & pops are better served in the long run by my label giving them ample copies of a record at a reasonable price vs. a one-day cash/hype-grab."

Weak. Wish he would've told me all that before I donated half of my column space in the new AP to his RSD releases.

Weak. Wish he would've told me all that before I donated half of my column space in the new AP to his RSD releases.

Sometimes you gotta pick up the phone, dude.

We talked via email about it! He knew I was writing about all of it. Still bummed.

Also, I think his reason, while valid, kind of sounds like a crock of shit. It's not like this is the first-ever Record Store Day; this year's events and special releases are really nothing different from last year's. He was the one who chose to align himself, his label and those titles with RSD, not the other way around; for him to kinda bash what is at its core a pretty good organization is weak.

Basically, I read his statement as: "Shit, I promised these records would be out by April 17 but they're not done, so I have to backpedal to buy myself some more time."

Hmmm, thanks for the shit-talk over quotes that some other guy made up to troll you, Scott. Much appreciated. But in the future, please note that emails and phone calls are eternally more efficient in gathering info and contacting me than trying to reach me via messageboard.

All of the releases will be available for RSD as planned. "Gotta catch 'em all." ®©

Hmmm, thanks for the shit-talk over quotes that some other guy made up to troll you, Scott. Much appreciated. But in the future, please note that emails and phone calls are eternally more efficient in gathering info and contacting me than trying to reach me via messageboard.

All of the releases will be available for RSD as planned. "Gotta catch 'em all." ®©

zing!

I didn't make up any quotes to troll anyone.

[image]

Response, Brent?

Also, re: your "gathering info" remark: I checked magicbulletrecords.com and there ain't shit on there about your three RSD releases, nor is there any mention of them on recordstoreday.com, hence my making of this thread. Conventional wisdom would dictate that if these were still happening, there would've been some sort of mention on one of those two sites, right?

Let's be honest though, RSD has become a bit of a crock of shit. I went over the releases this year and it's like, "Major Label Band - Major Label Single - 10,000 copies". That's not an exclusive, that's a regular (or above regular) run of your single and just piggybacking on RSD for free press. I'm not saying it needs to be limited to 10 copies scattered across 100 mom and pop stores to be cool, but it's just stupid that many of these things are being treated as if they're anything more than another chance to get your brand out there.

Let's be honest though, RSD has become a bit of a crock of shit. I went over the releases this year and it's like, "Major Label Band - Major Label Single - 10,000 copies". That's not an exclusive, that's a regular (or above regular) run of your single and just piggybacking on RSD for free press. I'm not saying it needs to be limited to 10 copies scattered across 100 mom and pop stores to be cool, but it's just stupid that many of these things are being treated as if they're anything more than another chance to get your brand out there.

10,000 copies for someone like the Rolling Stones is a drop in a very large bucket. You have to realize many of these bands have tens of thousands of fans the world over -- limiting a title to, say, 2,000 copies (the new MGMT 12-inch, for example) is actually pretty reasonable.

Yes, prices for some of this stuff is goddamned expensive. But if you don't pay a small premium now, you'll pay a fortune on eBay later.

10,000 copies for someone like the Rolling Stones is a drop in a very large bucket. You have to realize many of these bands have tens of thousands of fans the world over -- limiting a title to, say, 2,000 copies (the new MGMT 12-inch, for example) is actually pretty reasonable.

Yes, prices for some of this stuff is goddamned expensive. But if you don't pay a small premium now, you'll pay a fortune on eBay later.

Well they're not all limited the world over. Some on the US list are exclusive or solely on that list but many are repeated on the UK list. There are some things this year that I think are cool, even exceptional (that John Lennon or Joy Division Box set) but for every one of those there's at least one "La Roux - Single off new album" "Mastadon - Vinyl reissue (3,000 copies)". Just stuff that isn't exceptional in anyway. I mean, I'm sure people are happy about the Blood Mountain repress but is that really something special or is it just Warner trying to get more press for something they would do anyway?

Ya, but in the end its really just a day for vinyl collectors, aside from us who really buys vinyl anymore?

In other words, people who buy records buy records?

Aside from people who drive, who buys cars?

I think it's the distinction of the "collector" versus the "person who listens to records". I'm not going to get into that discussion but I think that's what he means.

Ya, but in the end its really just a day for vinyl collectors, aside from us who really buys vinyl anymore?

I know. I just think some of the claims in this thread are backward.

Scott made a good point:

10,000 copies for someone like the Rolling Stones is a drop in a very large bucket. You have to realize many of these bands have tens of thousands of fans the world over -- limiting a title to, say, 2,000 copies (the new MGMT 12-inch, for example) is actually pretty reasonable

If whoever Godsmack's label is, put the record up for sale on their website, they could pretty easily sell a couple thousand copies to their dumbass fans.

However, many independent labels have a hard enough time selling out a release that's limited to only a couple hundred copies. So if anyone is piggybacking the RSD hype, it's the indie labels...

I know that what I'm saying sounds messed up. I love supporting indie's, but having major labels as a part of RSD is, in the long run, going to help its continuance.

In other words, people who buy records buy records?

Aside from people who drive, who buys cars?

People who collect cars.

And those people often have enough money to just fly wherever the fuck they wanna go