What does your handle/name mean?

jhulud

Guest baseball

I know you said you weren't interested in discussing this, but hopefully you'll read this response. I don't care if you respond. BUT, I take issue with a couple of things you said here as inaccurate.

the idea of straight edge has almost equal to do with responibility and moderation as the literal not smoking, taking drugs and drinking alcohol.

Right. But to most people the idea of using drugs has to do with responsibility and moderation too. Remember, only a small percentage of the drug using population would be considered "abusers."

Part of the consumption of whichever or all "substance"(for sake of argument) is rooted in the idea of an "escape" if i drink this i'll forget my problems, if i smoke this i'll be off in lal la land for a while, etc...

You just made a huge assumption in your general premise by saying that consumption of said substances are done so for the sake of 'escape'. You basically just stated that everyone who uses those substances does so for the exact same reason. That's absurd and inaccurate. What you're doing here is looking at a small sample size of people who's actions you have observed and generalizing a much larger population of people.

Would you consider it fair if I said "well straight edge people don't use these substances because they like to feel superior to people who do." ? Of course not, but if I based an assumption on a small sample size of people who I've encountered, then that's what I could say. Understand how someone who uses like myself would take offense to that?

Hell, just the fact that you use the phrase "smoking yourself into lala land" displays a good amount of ignorance toward marijuana. Marijuana is a drug that has been propaganized into this belief in the 20th century. Prior to all the crazy Reefer Madness of the early 20th century, the drug was not even used as an intoxicant. Many many many people to this day don't use it as an intoxicant and would be offended that you refer to it in such a fashion.

It would do many people (not picking on you) some good to actually read the history of how we got to where we are today in regards to using drugs as intoxicants. Heroin, cocaine, marijuana, LSD, MDMA (ectasy), and many more were never regarded as intoxicants until very recent history.

so if you decided to drink or smoke(not cigarettes) or do whatever then you forfeit your honest ability to that intense notion of 24-7 responsibilty for your actions because that's the nature of what happens. you are not 100% in control.

This is an opinion, for which you are stating as fact. What you really mean is, in your experience, people who use said substances have forfeited their ability to be in 100% control.

Fact of the matter is, the vast majority of substance users are in complete control of their surroundings. You do realize that only a very small part of the drug using population uses said substances in excess? You're looking at an extremely skewed sample and generalizing again.

...but aside from that I honestly don't want to give money to corporations that are selling you products that shorten or represent the possibility of shortening my life by putting me in a state where i can fall into harms way.

So then I'm assuming you don't give any money to Coca Cola, McDonalds, or a multitude of other corporations then either? After all, they sell you products that when abused represent the ability to shorten your life.

I realize you were talking about the intoxicating factors of said products, but the end result is the same, and thus I would consider relevant for argument's sake.

:)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its from Dune. x's because im super hardcore brah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fedaykin#F

No one more 'core than you Darrell...or wait...I'm more 'core than you! Not sXe but more 'core....boo-yaaaa!!!!!

;)

x's x's in my name....

who is the 'corest in the game...?

clearly i win. ive got more x's in my name than you!

silly, hulud...

I've been using the name Jochert ever since I got my first e-mail account back when my dad got us a 56k dial-up modem and an internet account in the mid 90's.

My name is Jochem (impossible to pronounce for English speakers, so in English I say Yoakum)

In Dutch my name sounds like the word Yogurt, except the RT on the end is an M.

People have called me yoghurt all my life, first to make fun, but I didn't give a shit, so it stuck.

Nowadays almost all my friends call me Yogurt. Sometimes when i'm at the dairy section of the supermarket... people say "Yogurt!", and I look up and say " Yeah?" and they look at me funny while grabbing a carton of yogurt. Haha

so, long story short: Jochert is pronounced Yogurt but spelled like my name

edit: and no x's cause I like beer ;)

Guest abravemorning
I demand mods change 311thrice's name to Thrice11.
Seconded.

It's a bit more creative, if I do say so myself.

I just think its fun to say. 4 syllables>5 syllables.