Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape genuine?

ps IMO, if you were purchasing this for the fidelity of sound, i wouldn't. the vinyl is flimsy thin, has substantial inner groove distortion so the last track on each side is virtually unlistenable, there's no inner sleeve and the quality of the package is average at best.

as a collectable, fine and good, but the OG press leaves a lot to be desired sound quality wise, so these boots may well sound better.

Inner groove distortion happens if your cartridge is not properly aligned, or just can not track the inner grooves. The only other time this happens is when you buy a used record that was played on a system that was not properly aligned, and the stylus did irreparable damage to the inner grooves.

I would check to make sure your stylus is aligned. Also, the more you pay, the more you get. My Rondo Red can track a lot of grooves that my OM40 couldn't. Hope this helps.

from the literature i've read, the conclusion was basically some records 'had' it, others did not and it was a random thing whether the record had it or not. and it didnt matter if the turntable was of higher quality - these tended to highlight the problem more.

i now have a half decent deck but back when i bought this record, and first played it, i had a cheap shitty deck. i bought Aenima about the same time and it too has the inner groove distortion. maybe it was due to the crappy deck? it hasn't affected all the records i had back then though.

thanks for the advice. will investigate further.

Inner groove distortion happens if your cartridge is not properly aligned, or just can not track the inner grooves. The only other time this happens is when you buy a used record that was played on a system that was not properly aligned, and the stylus did irreparable damage to the inner grooves.

I would check to make sure your stylus is aligned. Also, the more you pay, the more you get. My Rondo Red can track a lot of grooves that my OM40 couldn't. Hope this helps.

from the literature i've read, the conclusion was basically some records 'had' it, others did not and it was a random thing whether the record had it or not. and it didnt matter if the turntable was of higher quality - these tended to highlight the problem more.

i now have a half decent deck but back when i bought this record, and first played it, i had a cheap shitty deck. i bought Aenima about the same time and it too has the inner groove distortion. maybe it was due to the crappy deck? it hasn't affected all the records i had back then though.

We have the same pressing and mine plays great. I worked at my uncle's stereo shop when this came out so I've had nice equipment with professionally installed/aligned cartridges since then. For what that's worth to you.

The lettering on yours definitely looks yellowish in the pic. And my matrices match the other guy's record exactly. But who knows, yours could be a UK press. Good luck with your decision.

The UK press is completely different according to here:

http://www.discogs.com/Foo-Fighters-The-Colour-And-The-Shape/release/1894686

and surely it would say made in UK, not U.S.A like mine does. I've taken the decision to send it back, in the end I've not lost anything, i'll get another copy eventually.

The lettering on yours definitely looks yellowish in the pic. And my matrices match the other guy's record exactly. But who knows, yours could be a UK press. Good luck with your decision.

The UK press is completely different according to here:

http://www.discogs.com/Foo-Fighters-The-Colour-And-The-Shape/release/1894686

and surely it would say made in UK, not U.S.A like mine does. I've taken the decision to send it back, in the end I've not lost anything, i'll get another copy eventually.

I agree, they're almost always blatantly different. But there are exceptions. Good call.

Yeah, I have many FF UK releases of course, and they all state either made in UK or EU. Were your matrices easy to read as well? I already have many, many Foo Fighters vinyl releases, and both the handwritten and stamped matrices are very easy to see and read. It look a few looks and different angles to actually spot the matrices on this one to begin with, they're very faint.

We have the same pressing and mine plays great. I worked at my uncle's stereo shop when this came out so I've had nice equipment with professionally installed/aligned cartridges since then. For what that's worth to you.

oh well [shrugs], guess i fucked up a few irreplaceable records with my first deck. thems the breaks eh, when yer young dumb and full of ....

the matrices on mine were quite easy to read. small, but pretty well scored into the vinyl

Yeah like I say they're definitely not on mine, I didn't even think it had any after a few glances, that's how feint they are, which could point to someone not knowing their stuff and not wanting to press in too hard and damage the vinyl or something.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

For those that were following this, I sent the Vinyl back and got my money back. Since then I've been on the lookout again for a genuine copy. Last week I bid on what appeared to be a genuine UK copy on ebay, it looked good and had the sticker on it, so I bid. Before that auction ended I was in a record store in London and saw another copy of it, this time the US press (The same press as the fake). I could see this one was genuine and confirmed 100% the one I had was fake. The text on the back was perfectly clear, the whole thing looked like it was from 1997 not 2009 with a bit of ringwear as you'd expect.

The UK auction hadn't ended but I thought I should buy this one so I can be sure I have a genuine copy, so I did. I won the ebay auction as well, and recieved that, which is also a genuine UK press.

So now I've gone from having one fake copy to two genuine copies, one UK press, one US press. I don't need both so i'm going to sell the US press on ebay, but I thought I would post here and see if anyone would be interested in it at a good price. Most of you seem to be in the US though, and shipping there from me in the UK may be pricy.

But if anyone is interested, make me a reasonable offer. Email me here - http://www.google.com/recaptcha/mailhide....msKblJQdK5tl 0=

Cheers

well, i can definitely testify that there was a U.S. and an E.U (maybe U.K.?) pressing and I owned both of them. the sound from the E.U. pressing was far more superb, but a bit flimsier than the U.S. pressing. in the last 10 years or so... i've found an abundance of U.K. sellers with "dead stock" and selling eighties/nineties records new/not in shrinkwrap records by the box load up on ebay..

the following subject was posted, however, since we're on the topic of ebay sellers from the U.K with "seems too good to be true" stock.... just thought i'd add this one... the greatest find from a U.K. ebay seller with "dead stock" was around 2002... this seller had about 5 copies of elliott smith's XO on Bong Load.... and three copies of eels' "beautiful freak".... all NEW, at 14.99 sterling each. i bought one of each. record collectors take note of this, i'm not kidding....

i'm not much of a collector, i just love my music on vinyl.