What to do with a large number of DVDs?

Guest eriathomas

Guest eriathomas

I've got a little over 200 DVDs, and keeping them in the rack is annoying and turning into sort of an eyesore. I was debating getting large DVD wallets, but I have to have them in alphabetical and don't want to have to take 100s of DVDs out every time I buy a new one. I'm thinking I might have to rip them all as isos or straight DVD folders to a large external HDD and get something like a WDTV HD to play them. Anyone in a similar situation come to a solution?

I was thinking about doing the wallet thing too. That should work fine as far as buying new ones if you don't buy that often. If you get a couple here and there, just wait until you have at least 10 that need to be added alphabetically. Ripping that many seems like it would be almost as much a chore as re-alphabetizing all the time, but the end result would be better.

I've been ripping mine into video files. Ripping them into isos just seems like it'd take up a whole lot of space for little reason. As long as I have the movie, I'm good.

I've been reselling them to a few local record stores, and getting fairly decent money (credit) for them. I didn't spend a dime on RSD.

Guest eriathomas
I've been ripping mine into video files. Ripping them into isos just seems like it'd take up a whole lot of space for little reason. As long as I have the movie, I'm good.

I've been reselling them to a few local record stores, and getting fairly decent money (credit) for them. I didn't spend a dime on RSD.

I'd do it this way, but the majority of the DVDs are anime, so it's take a long ass time to rip 5-6 episodes a DVD and get the proper substitles timed and stuff.

I'm also really impatient, and it hardly takes any time to rip isos. If I had more time or a better pc I'd do h264 mp4s to play on my 360, to eliminate the need to buy something extra.

Guest kingbuzzo

I've got upwards of 500 stored in binders. When they first went in I did the alphabetical order stuff but I quickly gave up. I just have them sorted by genre now.

binders are bad for discs, they scratch way too easily going in and out of those plastic sleeves. ultra big shelf is the way to go.

This is true. I worked at a used record/dvd store and people would sell dvds they had kept in big binders, all scratched. We would pay less for them because they were in rougher shape. So instead of say, 1.50 for a dvd, or .50 for a real common or cheap one, we'd pay 1.00 or less, even .25 a dvd. Pawn shops are worst, some doing .25 a dvd despite the title or number of discs. Our stores had such a backstock of dvds that we ended up selling them in huge lots of thousands to buyers. I do though recommend selling to used dvd stores that have a set buying guide based on amazon price, condition, and store quantity, I've seen people get a good chunk of cash for their collections.

If you've thought about selling your dvds, I recommend doing it sooner than later. The longer you wait, the less you're going to get for them. People with large cd collections should have sold them five years ago, at least. Using cds as an example, it's really hard to sell used cds right now. I don't own many cds or dvds, but my friends who do, have copied their collections and sold them off. They seem happy with their decision.

Guest eriathomas

I'm thinking of buying a bunch of slim cases and cutting down all the covers of the DVDs to fit. I figured about 2-3 slim cases = 1 normal, so it's save a ton of room. I may just go with the DVD wallet solution though. Which ones do you guys have? I've checked a few out on amazon, and it seems all the reviews for the 500 dvd+ ones are not great (flimsy and cheap).

Guest eriathomas

Well, I just went through my collection and realized a ton of DVDs are still sealed or are never watched, so I plan on selling most of them off. I like all the series' I have, but I guess I just buy stuff on a whim and don't care to watch them all. I feel way too nerdy with them too.

Edit: None of the DVDs are worth anything, because it seems they always release a series as a boxset a few months after they do individual volumes, and the price is like 1/3 that of buying all the volumes so no one wants them anymore. I guess I'll go with the DVD wallet, and toss out all the cases. I mean I could probably sell them all, but it'd be a bigger hassle then it's worth.