Why Are We Here?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While this is in no way an answer to that question I find this video quite beautiful.

Personally, I feel there is no divine reason behind our existence. If anything, I'd just like to know that while I was here I was able to make some people smile and know what it was to love.

Are you sure there isn't an answer? Is not searching for an answer an answer in and of itself? And reasons need not always be divine. We're an earthly species, after all.

While this is in no way an answer to that question I find this video quite beautiful.

Personally, I feel there is no divine reason behind our existence. If anything, I'd just like to know that while I was here I was able to make some people smile and know what it was to love.

Are you sure there isn't an answer? Is not searching for an answer an answer in and of itself? And reasons need not always be divine. We're an earthly species, after all.

searching for an answer isn't necessarily an answer to 'why'. it's moreso an answer to how you spend your time while you're here.

I am in no way sure and I do think the attempt to attain such enlightenment is a very valid and honorable venture.

However, I know that no matter what it was that allowed me to get to this point I will always be insignifcant when compared to the vastness of the universe. This is not to say I feel that what I do in my daily life is without merit or that the relationships I've built are not worth my time. I feel lucky to have experienced any of this at all and whether or not I am able to find a definitive answer is something that will not change what I've have experienced, although it may change my perspective on certain events. I would love to know the true reason behind why I am sitting behind a desk entering data at a government office but whether or not I ever learn why will not affect how I operate on a daily basis.

Yeah, that isn't really an answer but I don't know what else to say.

searching for an answer isn't necessarily an answer to 'why'. it's moreso an answer to how you spend your time while you're here.

TO search for an answer.

I am in no way sure and I do think the attempt to attain such enlightenment is a very valid and honorable venture.

However, I know that no matter what it was that allowed me to get to this point I will always be insignifcant when compared to the vastness of the universe. This is not to say I feel that what I do in my daily life is without merit or that the relationships I've built are not worth my time. I feel lucky to have experienced any of this at all and whether or not I am able to find a definitive answer is something that will not change what I've have experienced, although it may change my perspective on certain events. I would love to know the true reason behind why I am sitting behind a desk entering data at a government office but whether or not I ever learn why will not affect how I operate on a daily basis.

Yeah, that isn't really an answer but I don't know what else to say.

I'm not speaking of yours specifically (you acknowledged insignificance) but it's funny that so many responses have such an arrogance about them. Can't say I'm surprised, though. We fashion our Gods in our own likeness, and often they have the demeanor of a 12 year old child.

Separate the I from We. Lose the bias. I is generally insignificant. We has potential.

we're here cuz we're not somewhere else.

i'm not sure exactly but i do know that while i'm here i'm gonna try to do enough good stuff so that when i'm not here, people will remember me fondly.

That was essentially my final answer: Because we are.

But isn't doing good subjective?

of course it is, but i don't see how its subjectivity is relevant, really.

edit: ugh, grammar.

Wouldn't that subjectivity lead to endless strife? Some would argue the likes of Hitler, Bin Laden, etc, were merely doing good... we ourselves like to "liberate" the world under the guise of "good". Aren't we all just really self-serving tyrants?

Seems the notion of "doing good" is actually a cancer. Odd.

Wouldn't that subjectivity lead to endless strife? Some would argue the likes of Hitler, Bin Laden, etc, were merely doing good... we ourselves like to "liberate" the world under the guise of "good". Aren't we all just really self-serving tyrants?

Seems the notion of "doing good" is actually a cancer. Odd.

i wasn't really talking about the grander, completely open to interpretation of 'good'. i just want to do nice stuff for people. like bake people cookies. or mail people mix cds.

i think i fried my brain this morning writing my self evaluation. but yeah, bake people cookies.