Record cleaner?

Smudges... perhaps. But the scuff marks... doubt it. Best manual record cleaner I've ever used is the Nagaoka Rolling Cleaner... Had mine for about 10+ years now and still has another 10+ years on it! I've use it about once a week...

I've heard from a few that they've had theirs for more than 20 years! Also depends on how well it's kept and how often it's properly cleaned....

I have the KAB-EV1 manual vacuum record cleaning machine available from kabusa.com (a Technics SL-1200 parts site for the most part). It doesn't do much for brand new records, but it works wonders for used. I've had it a couple years and the 150$ price tag has already paid for itself as far as I'm concerned. It should conceivably last forever as long as I change out the pads every couple hundred cleans.

Scuffs and scratches will be there forever. But smudges and most important dirt, dust and grime embedded in the grooves should be washed away with that. I had a system like that before, its better than nothing, but the vacuum cleaning method is hard to beat.

The kitchen sink method above is by far the best bang for your buck, but I'm a lazy man. :D

May I suggest you visit http://www.aslanstore.com/

I used their velvet pad and cleaning lotion for a BIG bunch of old and dirty records and it made them so much better for $13PPD. Some came out like new after the cleaning.

Now I just need to find a record cover cleaner :D

does it help with static?

Just throwing this out there, but I have noticed the best way to kill static is to stop using plain paper sleeves. Those are just a breeding ground for static and scuffs. After I made the switch to poly inner sleeves static has pretty been non existent. Sure some cleaners wipe it out while cleaning, but putting it back in the white paper sleeve charges it back up. Of course the dryer the room the more static as well.