Book Club: Our Noise, The Story of Merge Records

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

[image]

Our Noise, The Story of Merge Records

http://www.ournoisethebook.com/

From time to time, i have considered putting together an online book club through Vinyl Collective. While I don't have as much time as I would like these days to read, I try to read whenever possible. As one might suspect, some of my favorite books involve topics of music industry and history. I recently read a book that would be a perfect first book for our imaginary book club: Our Noise, The Story of Merge Records.

"Our Noise" is a fantastic book that details the humble beginnings and prosperous future of Merge Records through the eyes of Mac and Laura (of Merge and Superchunk). I think the book explains that you don't have to sign with a major or sell half of your label to a major to find success. While I am a fan of Superchunk, I was never a super fan and never really new their story, but this book has me looking to explore more. Did you know that Superchunk put out their early records on Matador? They later opted to put out their own records with their own label, but there was a time when the majors were bidding high to sign the North Carolina band. For many years, Merge was known only as Superchunk's label, but as the years passed, Merge signed acts like Magnetic Fields, Spoon, Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, and more. This book explains each of the bands' stories along with a number of lesser known acts, Merge's former distribution deal with Touch and Go (now with ADA), and lots of examples of major label excesses (and shortcomings). I thoroughly enjoyed the book. And while I can't find it, there is a great quote about a good 7" single by Mac.

Has anyone read this book? What did you think?

If we had a book club, what book would you recommend next?

It's a stellar read, but it's overly effusive at times. The interview, "collective storytelling" style is excellent, but the chapter intros are terribly ass-kissy. The story is simultaneously the label's history, as well as that of Superchunk, but the lesser-knowns like Butterglory get plenty of ink, too.

Yep, "Dance Of Days" is a great one about the DC scene. And I love "Get In The Van", I consider it a must-read whether you like Rollins or not.

Right now I'm working on "Spray Paint The Walls", a really thick new-ish book about Black Flag. I'm only a chapter in, and while interesting it's extremely wordy, at times really unnecessarily.

I love books like these. "our band could be your life", "please kill me", "get in the van"...if anyone has some recommendations, i'm all ears.

check out Dance of Days, We Got the Neutron Bomb and American Hardcore if you haven't already.

I've read american hardcore. Gonna look up the other two. thanks man.

[image]

And while I can't find it, there is a great quote about a good 7" single by Mac.

I'm curious as to what this quote/7" is.

I'd also recommend 'unheard music' by Christie Piper. It's a book of photos of the great punk/hardcore/emo bands from '91-'97

While I dont have the book in front of me I think the quote from Mac is from the liner notes of the Tossing Seeds album.

Our Noise is a great read, I wish more music books took the oral history format.