22Jacks in my freaking back yard!

dante3000

Well, not literally but damn close. The E-mail just came in:

Los Angeles, December 13, 2007. 22 Jacks (featuring members of WAX, The Breeders, Adolescents and Royal Crown Revue) will be firing it up again in 2008. 22Jacks were founded by Joe Sib (co-owner of Side One Dummy Records) in 1995 after the break-up of his 90s band WAX. 22Jacks recorded two studio albums (Uncle Bob and Going North) as well as a Live EP, Overserved which included a guest vocal appearance from Joey Ramone. 22Jacks' tour schedule was extensive, including several stints across the United States, Canada and Australia.

In 2001 Sib decided to focus on Side One Dummy Records full-time. Steve Soto went on to reform The Adolescents as well as Manic Hispanic. Jose Medeles joined Donavon Frankenreiter and is currently in The Breeders. The band, which has always centered around friends joining together to play has also included Bill Fraenza, Chris Shiflett of the The Foo Fighters, Scott Shiflett of Face To Face, CJ Ramone of The Ramones, Matt Riddle Face To Face/No Use for Name and Kelly LeMieux Goldfinger.

The reformed line up includes former members Sib (vocals), Soto (vocals/guitar), Fraenza (Guitar), Medeles (Drums) as well as former Royal Crown Revue guitarist James Achor filling in on bass.

Three shows have been scheduled in January 2008.

1/4/08 - Glendale, CA - The Scene

1/5/08 - San Jose, CA - The Blank Club

1/6/08 - San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore (Supporting Social Distortion)

While no immediate plans have been made to record new material, the band does plan on additional shows in 2008.

The fat guy is steve soto...so yes...but he may have lost weight, he looks much smaller in american hardcore.

I saw this band a few times and were really good live, but all their records I've heard fell way, way, way short. I think I only have a 7" now...but then again I haven't heard the first album in 10 years...so maybe I'd like it now??

These dudes played the first show I ever saw at the fireside bowl in 97: reel big fish headlined, regatta 69 opened.

Then I saw them a few years later with Mxpx.

I'll always hold a special place in my heart for this band as they were the first band I ever saw at Warped Tour ('97 in Chicago). I remember not being too impressed until they threw out free stickers. When I got their album Going North a few years later, though, that shit was hot -- "Somewhere In Between" and "Slipping Down" were my jams!

Justin - I can't remember if I was at that Fireside show or not. I'm pretty sure I was, because I remember getting a flier for ANOTHER Reel Big Fish show a few months later at the House of Blues with Nerf Herder and MU330.

I was at that Warped tour too(I actually went to all of them until I think the 1998 one). They were one of only like 10 bands that actually played that year, courtesy of some BRUTAL storms. 22 Jacks played first overall, which would normally suck, but compared to everyone else they at least got to play a full set. However, Mark McGrath got electrocuted while Sugar Ray was playing, so it wasn't ALL bad.

Bands that didn't end up playing at all that year: Blink 182, Reel Big Fish....wild. As far as I can remember, the only bands who played: 22 Jacks, Lagwagon, Less Than Jake, Sugar Ray, Limp Bizkit(they played at the same time as Sugar Ray..suck from all angles), and then short sets from Pennywise, the Descendents, Social Distortion, Suicide Machines. Everyone else (about 20 or 30 other bands) just sat it out and tried to push merch.

ah the horror, but still amazingness of the 1997 Warped Tour continues to live on... what a clusterfuck that day turned out to be.

h2o played 3 songs then had to stop because of lightning

limp bizkit played that day, and uh...yeah....

i met the singer from Sugar Ray at the Sick of it All table and he was a cowering nerd just like me(about SOIA) and was trying to buy a shirt and the SOIA dudes were like 'dude, just take it, we're on tour together, we like your band, go!' and he was just mumbling about how he had money and could pay for it...but but your sick of it all...it was pretty hilarious. we talked for a few minutes(mostly about the greatness of SOIA) seemed like a good guy.

for such a shitty day i have so many fond memories.

I love how so many of us were in the same place a decade ago and have somehow ended up in the same place a decade later. I love little things like that.

Also, the Bosstones played that day, and every band you listed had full sets except for Sugar Ray (lightning), LTJ (rained out on the side stage) and Descendents (who played the first 8-10 minutes of Pennywise's set, half of which were Black Flag songs). But I'm positive the rest of those bands they put on the mainstage during the storm had full sets.

1997 Warped Tour?

Pshaw! 1995 was the shit! On the CU-Boulder campus I saw:

Civ, The Deftones, Fluf, No Use for a Name, Orange 9mm, Quicksand,Seaweed, Sick of It All,

Sublime, Swinging Utters, and a bunch of others.... plus I had a mohawk (never again repeated) for the occasion.

But it does rule that you guys were all in the same place 10 years.

Scott - I seemed to remember everyone playing a bit shorter than usual...and there was definitely a huge gap between the first pre-rain chunk of bands and the post-rain bands.

I was at the Chicago 95 Warped Tour. Everyone but Sublime played. They were kicked off the tour because the singer was a fucking drug addict. Also, L7 played. Quality shit. I was 14.

Scott - I seemed to remember everyone playing a bit shorter than usual...and there was definitely a huge gap between the first pre-rain chunk of bands and the post-rain bands.

Yeah, I think the last mainstage band during the rain was the Bosstones, , then they started setting up the Suicide Machines' gear, tore it down and set up Social D's instead, and very shortly into their set, the rain broke. I'll never forget watching Social D and then the Suicide Machines with only a few hundred people who stuck around (or so it felt like, maybe it was more). That hour of music seriously changed my life, no shit. Watching Chuck Biscuits fucking WAIL on his drumkit was definitely a highlight.

1997 Warped Tour?

Pshaw! 1995 was the shit! On the CU-Boulder campus I saw:

Civ, The Deftones, Fluf, No Use for a Name, Orange 9mm, Quicksand,Seaweed, Sick of It All,

Sublime, Swinging Utters, and a bunch of others.... plus I had a mohawk (never again repeated) for the occasion.

But it does rule that you guys were all in the same place 10 years.

I think Warped '97 and '98 were the best years, lineup-wise.