Suggestions for Ocean City, MD (Venues/Records)

...or any suggestions at all?

I'll be there for 5 days as a vacation with the lady. We'll be plenty occupied with the ocean, beach, and boardwalk but we wouldn't mind knowing if there's any place, even a little outside the city, that has shows or decent record stores for some used vinyl.

Any suggestions at all are welcome! Thanks!

I just got back from there (my grandparents live there).

No record stores that I know of, no venues that I know of unless you are looking for like a classic rock cover band or something. There may be a venue in Rehoboth Beach though (in Delaware). I seem to remember hearing about this.

Have fun, I love it there!

if you don't eat at brass balls saloon you're crazy! sooooo good. and an awesome place.

also, if you're looking for an awesome smorgasboard, go to jonah and the whale.

Oh man, I got ridiculous food poisoning one time from Jonah and the Whale. Like, it was comical it was so bad.

I usually get some fries at Thrashers, then some pizza at the Dough Roller, and finish it up with ice cream from Dumsers and some skee-ball! Oh, and if you get up early enough you can rent bikes to ride on the boardwalk!

I can honestly not say I've come across any record stores or good music venues since I've been visiting OC every year...if anything you can go to Salisbury's mall and hit up Hot Topic haha

I remember Jimmy's Chicken Shack was pretty much the only known band playing in town when I visited last year and coincidentally the year before.

Just go to Seacrets on 49th street and have a fucking blast!

dude, OC kinda sucks. no venues or record stores at all. although (depending on how old you look) you can get a free bus pass that they give out for senior week so kids don't drive drunk. i forget what street but they set up a tent on the beach and you just sign your name and they give you a pass. the drunk bus is probably the best thing about ocean city, and saves you a lot of walking/driving.

and the wrapper is the best. whatever you want wrapped in a soft pretzel. make sure to eat there. it's down towards the end. and i never eat anything there, but my friends all flip out about dumser's milkshakes. so you might want to eat there too.

also hit up the outlets (on the way from MD, not sure about from where you're driving). there's a vans outlet that i basically buy everything from for like $10.

Thanks so much everyone! I had no idea about any of these places...we should get to see everything that's mentioned. We'll be there for about a week.

I think we're also planning on going to Asseteague island (the one with the horses). Has anyone camped there before?

dumsers milkshakes are definitely backed hard.

my cousins have camped on assateague before and got eaten alive by mosquitos, ahha. it's REALLY buggy there if it's hot out, cuz they don't spray (being that it's a national park/seashore, i believe) BUT it's a really rad place to visit. i go there almost every year if i get the time. the beaches are super nice and way different than at OCMD.

also hit up the outlets (on the way from MD, not sure about from where you're driving). there's a vans outlet that i basically buy everything from for like $10.

i always stop at the ones in rehoboth (and eat at ihop too, since we don't have those in central pennsylvania) and hit up the vans outlet there. some ridiculously good deals to be found.

I've camped on Assateague, and like A-Money said, it was MISERABLE because of the mosquitos. I would never do it again, have stuck to day trips since then.

I almost died surfing there. And once I got rammed by a dolphin so hard it knocked the wind out me. I thought it was a shark and just about shit myself.

There used to be an ok record store on the North end of OC but it's been 15 years since I've been there.

Rehoboth used to have a record and tape traders in that outlet mall, but it probably closed along with the one in Fredrick. But if you go to Rehoboth, you should check out the Dogfish Head Brewery.

Foodwise though, Fries from Thrashers is a must, as are donuts from the Fractured Prune. Philips has an awesome seafood buffet, but its usually packed and kinda pricey.

We'll be avoid camping at Assateague then due to the mosquito population, which is something I didn't even think of. I completely forgot Dogfish Head is around that area. Any excuse to visit a brewery...Dogfish Head has been a favorite of mine recently.

I can't wait to try out all the different eateries. I think we'll check out the outlets on the way back home as well.

Thrasher's French Fries are the fucking best. If you go to the one by the Inlet in OC, there's a Boog's Pit Beef right next to it. Get yourself a sandwich! Dumser's milkshakes kick extreme ass. On the boardwalk there is a place called Love's - the best funnel cake. JR's has really good ribs if you're into that.

You might think of stopping by Malibu's Surf Shop on the boardwalk. Cool shit, great people.

Seacrets is always fun.

Outlets - Rehoboth is your best bet (in Delaware). The outlets are right on Rt. 1, and Delaware has 0% sales tax. Awesome!

We'll be avoid camping at Assateague then due to the mosquito population, which is something I didn't even think of. I completely forgot Dogfish Head is around that area. Any excuse to visit a brewery...Dogfish Head has been a favorite of mine recently.

I can't wait to try out all the different eateries. I think we'll check out the outlets on the way back home as well.

well, if they have any 'Wrath of Pecant" or their "Malt de Liqour" 40s lying around, pick em up and I will GLADLY buy them from you ;)

• 1 month later...

Quick BUMP.

We leave for Ocean City in two days. A lot of people recommended the Outlet Malls so I think we'll stop in the ones in Rehoboth, Delaware. I noticed there's some in OC itself. I think we're gonna try to get up and early and score bikes too.

Thanks again to everyone who suggested something! This is gonna be a fun week.