Do you play warped records?

I have several LPs that I bought brand new, but arrived warped due to the summer heat and the long trip through the international postal system.

They played fine on my cheap AT TT. However, I upgraded to a Pro-ject with a denon cartridge and even though the music sounds just fine, the violent jerking around of the stylus is enough for me to turn off the machine and put on a record that doesn't make me fear for the stylus.

My question is, am I being too nervous? Can the cartridge handle being thrown up and down left and right?

Question 2, has anyone ever successfully repaired a warped LP?

the brendan kelly split arrived warped for me, i had a cheap turntable at the time, and on it the records weren't in full contact with the surface, it had like 4 nubs on which the record rested, so it was warped such that the edge of the record would scrape against the table, so it was unplayable at that point.

anyway, i read online about fixing them, but i didn't have cork/glass/what have you, so i just put it between two big textbooks in the sun (i know, probably not a super duper fix) and within a few hours it was pretty much flattened and it plays like a peach now

For me it depends on how badly warped it is. A slight wobble isn't a big deal to me but if a record has significant visible damage I don't risk it, luckily I only own a few records that are this bad. If a record I really cared about became warped I would try to repair it, but it's just not worth it to me for something that's still in print.

I play them as long as they track fine and don't skip. Good thing I only have a couple records that are that bad. I had one that was untrackable, the stylus would hit the warp and bounce, so I put it on the shelf and packed it real snug and didn't touch it for about a year. I broke it out recently and to my surprise it was significantly less warped and tracked fine.

I've only had to return 3 records that were warped so bad I couldn't play them. The replacements turned out fine.

Guest staropramen

If I come across a warped record that I really want to keep I just squeeze it inbetween some records on a tightly stocked shelf and forget about it for a year or so. Eventually they straighten out.

Yea, if the warp is so bad the sound quality suffers or the stylus actually leaves the record, or skips, then you should not play it. but as long as the needle stays in the groove and the sound doesn't suffer I see no harm. Carts have suspension for a reason. :D But of course its not going to be great to run warped records all the time.

Ya know what "Kazimierz" my S&M copy has a wobble to it too.