Speakers

i actually just got these in from amazon today:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-00038.... 9859260&sr=8-1

so far i am pleased with them. they were highly recommended from a friend at work. i just have them hooked up to my computer though, not my turntable.

the price is already good, but there is also a $10 manufacturers mail-in rebate (if you purchase by saturday), which makes it even better.

just another idea for you. hope this helps!

Save your money and buy real gear then.

This.

There's no point in rushing to have a turntable if it won't sound much better than your iTunes. Save the money. Keep researching. A few years ago o got a great deal on a pioneer home theater system. I replaced the speakers and have my preamp/mixer hooked up to it. Sounds great and I didn't spend a whole lot of money. But had I gotten everything at once I wouldve settled for something crappy and regretted it later.

I can't believe people are seriously suggesting computer speakers.

[image]

What other choices does he have with a $40 budget?

I'm guessing the TT is going to be run directly to the speakers through a line connection. A $40 budget isn't going to buy an amp/receiver, preamp and real speakers.

Clearly you have never been to a thrift store.

I just recently helped a friend upgrade out of his computer speaker/TT setup and it was TERRIBLE. The sound was just atrocious. He was using a Creative 2.1 setup. He swapped in a $6.99 Kenwood receiver and $21 Fisher speakers, all bought from thrift stores. Still not that great, but miles better than the computer speaker setup.

Sure it will get the music pumping, but there isn't really much enjoyment when its so muffled and dead sounding. Hold out and get a real stereo.

Just be patient. Do some research and determine what speaker brands you think might suit your taste. Lean toward vintage for the best value (JBL, EPI, Acoustic Research, Polk, just to name a few). Then search Craigslist for them every day. You will get a deal.

I don't know where you are in CA, but I found these on the SF Craigslist in two minutes. Even with the replacement woofers, I'm guessing the AR would kill any computer speakers:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ele/1856438391.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/1858957391.html

Also, you're going to need some sort of amp or receiver, even if your TT has an internal phono preamp.

Dreamover is right: if you want to take advantage of the sound quality of vinyl, you can't do it with computer speakers.

Be patient.