Drum Set Suggestions (Cymbals, etc.)

I figured some of you also play and maybe have suggestions as far as brands or where online to locate this. Used (in decent condition) is great for me!

I'm a guitar player who can also play drums somewhat. I just bought a Mapex set (shells only) and need a snare, cymbals, stands, etc. I know it's a lot of stuff, but I've been eyeballing Guitar Center's Online Used section and finding ok stuff but curious what else is out there I'm missing.

Keep in mind, I'm not a drummer, I just play a little. So, I'm not looking for top shelf equipment.

2x Crash Cymbals

1x Ride Cymbal

1x pair of Hi-hats

Stands for the above mentioned and would prefer boom stands for everything minus the hats.

1x Snare

1x Snare stand

1x Pedal for Kick Drum (Double bass not necessary)

I'm not going to lie it kind of sucks you only bought the shells, hardware is going to be expensive but it also depends on if they are standard sizes. Did you leave it out or did you not get toms ?

Allot of this stuff is preference Some set the rack tom flat, some tilt it.Same goes with cymbals I would put one crash next to the high hat and the other next to your ride on the other side.

Again most all of this is preference just try different set ups & go with whatever works.

most people use this kind of set up

[image]

Just out of curiosity how much did you pay for the whole deal ?

what kind of cymbals did you get ?

for stands, i've always used the Pacific booms, I think they are $30 or $40 each. they probably make a cheap snare stand too.

hi-hats.. Zildjian 13" A Custom Projections (if you can find them cheap used), or Zildjian 13" ZBT - they get overlooked because it is the lower line, but I love those hi-hats.

I am a heavy hitter, so I don't have much experience with lower lines of crashes, I prefer the Zildjian Z Custom 18" & 19" Rock crashes.. or Zildjian 18" A Custom Fast Crash & Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection

For rides, it really depends on what you want out of it.. my two favorites are Zildjian 21" A Sweet Ride & Zildjian 20" A Earth Ride. I've owned a Zildjian ZBT 20" Ride at one point, I didn't hate it, was definitely worth it for the price.

Snare, I suggest you go into Guitar Center/Sam Ash/Best Buy and sit down with them until you find one you like, you'll most likely get a different answer from every person you ask.

Bass Pedal, I am a DW man, but the Pearl Eliminator is also real nice, but really anything will work.

Thanks so much for the help so far! The pacific booms sound right up my alley. I'd like to have purchased the set as a whole but I couldn't pass up nice finished Mapex shells with new Tom heads for only a hundred beans. I figure I'll have dumped about 400-500 for a decent set.

Any opinion on Meinl cymbals?

You don't need two crashes at first, but if you're not going to be recording on it and you're just using the kit to play around with and practice get something like this. http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Zildjian-ZBT-4-Pro-Cymbal-Pack-with-Free-18-Crash?sku=502013

Bass pedal get something cheap that kinda sucks. It'll force you to be precise. Then move on to top shelf equipment. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-7210-Chain-Drive-Single-Bass-Drum-Pedal-101934602-i1421709.gc

I've always enjoyed bigger cymbals than others. I currently play Zildjian A Custom 20" and 19" Projection Crashes. Zildjian K Custom 22" High Definition Ride and Zildjian A 14" New Beat Hi-Hats (which are from the 70's and have such a crisp sound)

I've always played Zildjian cymbals. Everything else i've tried has always broken quite easily on me, Sabian especially. Meinl are great sounding, but expensive.

hey troy, i have an extra gibraltar double bass pedal and you can just have it if you want. it works fine, but i don't use it and since you need some gear i am willing to help you out. just pm me your addy and i will ship it asap.

i currently use an 18" Zildjian K Custom Dark crash, 18" Zildjian K Custom Dark crash/ride, 14" Zildjian K Custom Darks Hats and a 14" Zildjian Oriental China Trash.

if i play hardcore and/or tour i use my smaller Ludwig Maple Classic Kit. more compact and saves space if you don't have a trailer for your van.

-4" x 14" Ludwig Black Beauty Brass Snare

-16" x 20" Ludwig Maple Classic Bass Drum

-8" x 10" Ludwig Maple Classic Tom

-10" x 12" Ludwig Maple Classic Tom

the 2 toms are mounted on 2 separate Ludwig Modular Double Braced Cymbal stands, the snare is mounted on a Ludwig Modular Doubled Braced Snare stand, Hi-Hats are on a Ludwig Pro-Float stand and the bass pedal is a Ludwig Speed King

when i record i use another Ludwig Maple Classic Kit, but with bigger drums and rotate between 6 different snares. same hardware and cymbals.

-5" x 14" Ludwig Hand Hammered Supraphonic Snare (main snare)

-14" x 26" Ludwig Maple Classic Bass

-10" x 12" Ludwig Maple Classic Tom

-12" x 14" Ludwig Maple Classic Tom