Boxee box

Guest eriathomas

Guest eriathomas

Anyone getting one? I really need a media center, and this seems interesting, but it's pretty fucking ugly. I know a few people here are into media centers, and was wondering your thoughts. Since you'll probably check the thread Kirby, which set-top pc did you get for your htpc?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038JE07O/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d4_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0ZSCBR7Y5BP949Z4RWTB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

i'm out of it, i didn't even know there was other stuff i wanted?

i'm really asking, can you get current broadcast shows on boxee box? cause i could almost cancell my cable if that were the case.

If you wait a day and download them or use Hulu, then yes. I'm thinking about going with a Media Center soon but I like to watch the Steelers and the Penguins play live at home...that's leaving me with keeping the cable on for now.

Honestly I can't decide if I want this or Google TV when it comes out.

From what I've heard, Boxee has planned on making an android app that will work with Google TV.

My friend pre-ordered one, I think I'll wait till I hear from him what his experience is.

I really want to get rid of my Satellite TV.. honestly there's nothing of that much interest that I want to see that isn't already on the net.

Guest eriathomas
PS3 won't play mkvs or a bunch of other stuff I want.

Yes it will, you just have to run PS3 media server on your desktop and stream your videos from your pc.

Yeah, but it's much better to be able to run it natively. I can play mkv on my 360 with ps3 media server, but it sucks for subtitles and such.

Yes it will, you just have to run PS3 media server on your desktop and stream your videos from your pc.

Yeah, but it's much better to be able to run it natively. I can play mkv on my 360 with ps3 media server, but it sucks for subtitles and such.

Have you tried PlayOn with the 360? That is what I use for all my media streaming, but haven't tried mkv files.

I'm keeping an eye on the Boxee Box, but only if it can run XBMC too. I don't like Boxee's software at all. You can download it on your PC and play w/ it to see if it's your thing. The remote is awesome.

I bought a Zotac Mag PC on sale at New Egg a few months ago. Here is a blog post about my setup:

http://kirbypuckett.tumblr.com/post/902842296/xbmc

Guest eriathomas
I'm keeping an eye on the Boxee Box, but only if it can run XBMC too. I don't like Boxee's software at all. You can download it on your PC and play w/ it to see if it's your thing. The remote is awesome.

I bought a Zotac Mag PC on sale at New Egg a few months ago. Here is a blog post about my setup:

http://kirbypuckett.tumblr.com/post/902842296/xbmc

It being able to run XBMC was my major concern too, since I know boxee sucks for some local media.