Read any good books lately?

jhulud

I searched through the threads and couldn't find any threads on books...but for some reason I can't shake the feeling that there has been one...sooooo...

As the subject says, have you read any good books lately?

Last night I finished "The Evolution of a Cro-Magnon" by John Joseph. Excellent, excellent memoir. It was funny, serious, dramatic, and exciting. The way the book is written makes you feel as though as John himself is in the room with you telling you all the stories. In the end he has a positive message to share.

Prior to that I trudged through "Walt Disney" by Neal Gabler. It's a very, very involved and detailed biography. At times it felt like a chore getting through it. Especially the early years when he was struggling to "make it"...but once the studio starts making features, it gets very interesting. I learned quite a lot about the man and what drove him to get to the status that he reached in pop culture. The book is objective as well...it doesn't idolize nor knocks hims down. One detail I liked is that the book ends rigth after his death and there's no idol-worship after the fact as would be expected.

I'm going to be starting on Slash's autobiography. That should be an interesting read to say the least.

Guest falloutcollapse

I just read Chuck Klosterman IV. I know it's just a collection of work, but I think it's a pretty accurate representation of his writing style, and I liked it a lot, especially the magazine articles. I want to be like him one day, so I think it's pretty cool.

Guest falloutcollapse

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs is the book that made me realize I wanted to be a writer. I love it so much, and I just lent it to my girlfriend to read.

Guest genericinsight

Dork Whore by Iris Behr (funny autobiography about a woman who's now a comedian and her travels through Asia trying to lose her virginity)

The Anti-Matter Anthology - Norman Brannon

Magical Thinking - Augusten Burroughs (dude who wrote Running With Scissors's story collection about bizarre/wacked out/funny things that have happened to him in his life)

all great books I've read lately.

My best friend bought me Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs for my bday 2 years ago and for some reason I never finished it, but I enjoyed what I did read of it.

I'm currently reading "Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies" by Jared Diamond, and it really is pretty fascinating. It's a book about why societies evolve how they did/do. If you're interested in history or anthropology at all it's a good read.

Before that I read "If a Pirate I must be" - an biography of Bartholomew Roberts written by Richard Sanders, which was a fairly interesting look at the life of the most successful pirate...

Before that I read "Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea: Why the Greeks Matter" by Thomas Cahill, which was an excellent look at the influence of the Greeks on our modern western civilization.

After this I'll probably go back to some fiction for a bit...

Guest genericinsight

The Anti-Matter Anthology - Norman Brannon

I haven't read the whole thing yet...went through and selected some of the interviews to read...but I am sure eventually will read all of them.

I really liked it, I read the whole thing in 2 days after I bought it at the book release benefit.

Dave Eggers.

I read "You Shall Know Our Velocity" recently, and it was rather good, so I'll 2nd that one.

yeah, thats my favorite of his. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is pretty good too (the first half or so is great, but then it kind of drags a little). I like Eggers a lot, his sense of humor is a lot like mine, and i love they way he can go from light hearted topics to straight up hostile anger sometimes. good stuff

I read "You Shall Know Our Velocity" recently, and it was rather good, so I'll 2nd that one.

yeah, thats my favorite of his. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is pretty good too (the first half or so is great, but then it kind of drags a little). I like Eggers a lot, his sense of humor is a lot like mine, and i love they way he can go from light hearted topics to straight up hostile anger sometimes. good stuff

i agree. Heartbreaking lost me a lot at parts, but the parts that he got right on were pretty freaking good.

right now, i'm shuffling between re-reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk, Fear and Loathing: The Campaign Trail '72 by Hunter S. Thompson, and Redemption Song: The Ballad of Joe Strummer by Chris Salewicz.

hmm, you may hate me for saying this. but my favourite

book is Catcher in the Rye. (and yes, i know, it's a very 'scene' thing

to read, or so i've heard)

but it is honesty my most favourite read. (i could pick it up and read it any time)

actually anything by J.D. Salinger is worth getting into.