Looking for a dog - Help!

We're looking into getting my girlfriend's grandmother a dog for her birthday and we're wondering what kinds of dogs would be good. She wants a smaller dog that will stay small so she doesn't get yanked around taking it for a walk and one that isn't hyper at all times. Anyone know of any good breeds? Thanks! :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have two king charles spaniels and they're basically the best dogs ever. they're both total lap dogs, one is really placid and doesn't really play with balls or toys or anything, she's just my mom's baby, the other is a puppy that's CONSTANTLY playing, so i can't speak to which one is more common, but they're great small dogs, my family loves them

my mom has two miniature pomeranians that are awesomeee. one is 14 years old and the other is about 7. super distinct personalities between the two. little watch dogs but super chill otherwise...would totally recommend one for mine if my grandmother didn't subsist on souls from living creatures.

did i mention they freakin' look like THIS?!

[image]

my dogs are stupid legit. i miss them so much.

i can't wait to get one for myself!

i know they're not little, but if you want an awesome, extremely calm, gentle, sweet dog, then get him a retired racing greyhound. my sister just got one and he is seriously the best dog ever. one long walk a day, and he just chills, sleeps, and wants to be petted for the rest of the day. he's the best on walks; it's actually funny watching other people get yanked around and sometimes she needs to coax him along, haha.

i know they're not little, but if you want an awesome, extremely calm, gentle, sweet dog, then get him a retired racing greyhound. my sister just got one and he is seriously the best dog ever. one long walk a day, and he just chills, sleeps, and wants to be petted for the rest of the day. he's the best on walks; it's actually funny watching other people get yanked around and sometimes she needs to coax him along, haha.

Awe he's retired. I've also heard the whippets are great pets. Apparently they nap a lot. They look like mini greyhounds.

Awe he's retired. I've also heard the whippets are great pets. Apparently they nap a lot. They look like mini greyhounds.

every time i go over to visit, the pup is passed out on his bed. just like a giant, non-bitchy cat who wants to be loved. it's so funny/cute. people think greyhounds are hyper/high energy but in reality they're the most chill dog breed.

my old neighbor in Paoli had a retired greyhound.. i back this idea.

All this talk about small yippy dogs is making my stomach turn. I simply cannot stand their incessant barking.

I have two lab mixes (both from the local Humane Society) and I wouldn't trade them for the world. They're a handfull though, no denying that, so definitely not the kind of dog you'd want to get grandma.

www.dogbreedinfo.com has a lot of good information on all sorts of dog breeds. They even have a quiz about what kind of breed would be good for grandma!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

All this talk about small yippy dogs is making my stomach turn. I simply cannot stand their incessant barking.

I have two lab mixes (both from the local Humane Society) and I wouldn't trade them for the world. They're a handfull though, no denying that, so definitely not the kind of dog you'd want to get grandma.

www.dogbreedinfo.com has a lot of good information on all sorts of dog breeds. They even have a quiz about what kind of breed would be good for grandma!

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

my pop pop wants/is getting a dog and my aunt has 2 purebred labs that he LOVES. he's getting up there in age and is recovering from lyme disease, and my aunt kept telling him that she didn't think a lab was the right kind of dog for him, but he refused to listen. to prove her point, one day she brought both of them over to his house (instead of him visiting them at her house like he always did prior to that). within 10 minutes of them being there, the chocolate one ran into him and almost knocked him over, then jumped up on all his furniture, and the yellow one ran through his screendoor and destroyed it.

needless to say, he now wants a different breed of dog, lulz.