The Beatles - White Album Unplugged (1968 Esher)

Guest markovianprocess

Guest markovianprocess

I just finished ripping it from my turntable. Sorry that the tracks aren't split up. It's a really charming listen though.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9qiu1heddiwgaad

Here is the blurb from the back of the record:

"In late May 1968 the Beatles came together at Kinfauns, George Harrison's home in Esher. One by one, first John, then George, then Paul, they recorded 23 of their newest compositions by double tracking themselves on George's reel-to-reel tape machine.

These songs, most of, whom were written during the Beatles' two-month stay on a meditation course in Rishikesh, India, February - April 1968, were subsequently recorded for the White Album. But not all of them made it onto vinyl and thus remained unreleased (at least as Beatles versions). Judging by the outcome of this session, it must have been a very sunny and relaxing day. Spring certainly was in the air (and a bit of pot maybe). Just accompanied by their acoustic guitars John, Paul and George recorded very charming and joyful early versions of their newest tunes. Sometimes slightly out of sync with their own double tracking but who cares? Spontaneity counts!"

Here is the tracklisting:

1. Yer Blues

2. Mother Nature's Son

3. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey

4. Sexy Sadie

5. Helter Skelter

6. Revolution

7. Child of Nature

8. Back In The USSR

9. Dear Prudence

10. Honey Pie

11. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

12. The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill

13. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

14. I'm So Tired

15. Blackbird

16. Piggies

17. Rocky Racoon

18. Julia

Guest markovianprocess
just out of curiosity how much did you get this lp for ?

and thanks for the dl

I think I paid somewhere in the region of about £10. It definitely wasn't expensive. It's a nice bootleg pressing, on clear red vinyl.

Guest markovianprocess
it's not still available is it ? I love to own a copy & would pay extra..

It was the only copy in the place that I bought it sadly. I went back and asked because I wanted to get a copy for my favourite lecturer because he was a big Beatles fan. I'm sure that there are copies out there though.

George Martin often speaks about wanting the white album to be a single disc record. Knowing how each Beatle ego was inflated enough to imagine themselves getting to fill a whole record, I'm suprised the thing wasn't three records. Regardless, I like the it how it is, but I wonder how it would sound if they had just put 14 songs on one record. How would we view that album? Would their be some theme, some epic universe-altering conception that would blow our minds?

And would "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" be on that record?

George Martin often speaks about wanting the white album to be a single disc record. Knowing how each Beatle ego was inflated enough to imagine themselves getting to fill a whole record, I'm suprised the thing wasn't three records. Regardless, I like the it how it is, but I wonder how it would sound if they had just put 14 songs on one record. How would we view that album? Would their be some theme, some epic universe-altering conception that would blow our minds?

was that real ?

was that real ?

Not sure what you're asking?

Guest markovianprocess
Where are the other 5 songs?

I have no idea, because the 18 were the only ones on the vinyl record I ripped it from. The description I posted was from the back of the record.

Not sure what you're asking?

I just think thats kind of a bold statement to say that an entire collective of fans would view an album different if they didn't include intermissions,preludes,ect.

Perhaps you're not familiar with punctuation. Those sentences ended with question marks. Question marks indicate that some sort of query is being sought. I was simply asking how would the public view the record without all the preludes, intermissions, etc. I didn't make any declarative statements. But if you think that fans wouldn't view the record differently if it were condensed from two discs to one, then you are naive. It would be a completely different Beatles album at that point. And most fans would probably view it as another attempt at a concept album being that it follows Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour.

I just think that's kind of a bold statement to say that an entire collective of fans would view an album different if they didn't include intermissions,preludes,ect.

Perhaps you're not familiar with punctuation. Those sentences ended with question marks. Question marks indicate that some sort of query is being sought. I was simply asking how would the public view the record without all the preludes, intermissions, etc. I didn't make any declarative statements. But if you think that .

Sorry I think I perceived you're comment in more of a pessimistic manner rather than just as a question. However although this is obviously open to interpretation I think they just simply tie the record together well as a whole. but I don't find myself going to those specific tracks. How many people do you know would go out of their way to download just those ?

Perhaps you're not familiar with punctuation. Those sentences ended with question marks. Question marks indicate that some sort of query is being sought. I was simply asking how would the public view the record without all the preludes, intermissions, etc. I didn't make any declarative statements. But if you think that .

Sorry I think I perceived you're comment in more of a pessimistic manner rather than just as a question. However although this is obviously open to interpretation I think they just simply tie the record together well as a whole. but I don't find myself going to those specific tracks. How many people do you know would go out of their way to download just those ?

Fair enough. Sorry for being dicky. I felt like you were insinuating that I was being a know-it-all, which drives me crazy. Trust me, I can be one but I was simply trying to have a discussion about a good but sometimes confusing Beatles album.

I think folk should have perspective when thinking about some of those tracks.

Firstly, it was the 60's. You couldn't get an album unless you bought it. There were no downloads, obviously. Technology eventually provided a way for the public to copy albums. Most people taped via reel-to-reel but that was more of an expensive method to just make copies of your vinyl. Then again, it seems like most people would still just made copies of albums rather than making their own 'best of' or mixtape. You still had the album, wholly.

Secondly, until the late 50's and early 60's, most music was purchased by older folk, thus consumed primarily by adults. It wasn't until record companies started pressing singles when young people bought music in large quantities. Singles were more of a pragmatic approach to allow teenagers to buy into the music market. 45's had two songs, generally, and thus they were cheaper in price. Kids could use discretionary income on singles and buy more singles for the money they would have had to spend on one particular album.

All this is to say, the feel of a record was important to the flow or concept, especially to the Beatles.

I don't remember what we were actually talking about now, haha.

Okay, right. If the "White Album" was one disc, with just fourteen of the those songs, it would be a much different album than it is now.

I've heard many people who don't like or care about The Beatles reference an odd tie-in track like Revolution #9 when they have no idea that it's not a real song (in the sense of verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus). So there is some argument that taking the filler songs away would make a much different album.

Cheers.