do you give your mail carrier a gift?

cesar11

i don't get tipped for doing my job like i'm supposed to, and postal service employees make more than i do to start with.

the only time i can justify or understand tipping someone is when tips are a significant source of their income, i.e. servers in restaurants, tattoo artists, etc.

this +1 x 10.

postmen(women) are doing their job, if they continually mess up your mail then you should report it to their supervisor, along with all other neighbors/friends as well until corrective action has been taken. they shouldnt be rewarded for keeping your mail "safe and dry" because thats their fucking job.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't get tipped for doing my job like i'm supposed to, and postal service employees make more than i do to start with.

the only time i can justify or understand tipping someone is when tips are a significant source of their income, i.e. servers in restaurants, tattoo artists, etc.

Unless that tattoo artist works in a shitty shop or is a shitty artist, pretty sure they are making way more then a mail carrier...that being said...I do tip my tattoo artist, but not my mail carrier....

Unless that tattoo artist works in a shitty shop or is a shitty artist, pretty sure they are making way more then a mail carrier...that being said...I do tip my tattoo artist, but not my mail carrier....

Average salary for a mail carrier is well over 40k to do what amounts to an exercise regimen.

I'm not tipping them.

Mail should disappear along with my carrier.

maybe, but i dont know of any tattoo artists who are apart of a union with federal perks and benefits.

i'd agree that comparing them to tattoo artists probably isn't the best analogy. pretty sure most artists take home 90% of what they charge to do your ink. yeah they have to pay rent on the space and whatnot but so do hairdressers. who you should also tip if you like what they've done with your dougie.

basically it's christmas. a time to show your appresh and be kind whether it's required or acceptable or not. i'm seeing a lot of hostility on sharing what little cash we each have during THIS ECONOMY. i tip servers more during this season as well as the baristas who brew my coffee. it's just a nice gesture if you've got a little to spare because chances are if they're working that kind of job, they don't.

postal worker jobs ARE cushy and yeah they probably lost a package i sent recently priority mail with delivery conf and yeah there's always only one window open and a line out the door to mail shit at the post office but hey...if you've got a solid mailman/woman who makes an extra effort to place your vinyl inside the screen door or in the shade on an extra hot day then that probably took a lot more consideration on their part than what 99% of postal workers put forth. As far as I know it's not required of them to bring things specifically to your door or make sure they're safe and dry unless there's delivery confirmation, and a majority of them couldn't give a fuck whether your /200 black copy melts into a puddle, gets chewed on by a neighbors dog, or pissed on by a hobo.

consider a small token motivation for them to keep taking care of your shit. people don't forget that sort of thing.

maybe, but i dont know of any tattoo artists who are apart of a union with federal perks and benefits.

truth.

i honestly can't understand people who have the 'well they did a good job, so they deserve a tip, even though they're salaried.' doing a 'good job' is what they're getting paid a salary to do.

i'd agree that comparing them to tattoo artists probably isn't the best analogy. pretty sure most artists take home 90% of what they charge to do your ink. yeah they have to pay rent on the space and whatnot but so do hairdressers. who you should also tip if you like what they've done with your dougie.

as i understood it, the shop takes around 40-50% of what the artists charges; around the same as a commission if you hang and sell your artwork in a gallery.

as i understood it, the shop takes around 40-50% of what the artists charges; around the same as a commission if you hang and sell your artwork in a gallery.

all shops have different rates for artists

all shops have different rates for artists

my artist specifically told me one time that she had to pay 10 bucks initial to do each tattoo she did. basically a set up fee. the tattoo she did on me was $80 as that was her "minimum". so maybe not 90% but like 80 something percent i guess. then each artist pays for their individual station as a portion of the bldg rent. usually the primary owners cover a lot of it but it sounded like she got to take home the rest of the cash that day and pay monthly for her spot.

edit: yeah it's different between places/policies but generally i think tattoo artists are compensated quite well for what they do.

Doing one's job does not warrant a tip in any situation. I tip servers generously (18% - 22%) unless they fuck up horribly, but that is because I appreciate what they do. I am very particular about my bartenders; I tend to find ones I like and follow them around; so I tip them even more generously. But do I feel obligated to do so? No. If you don't like the wage, don't take the job. This idea that I need to pay extra to have my food brought to me is asinine.

That said, I do not value any service my letter carrier provides.

But is value the only reason? I valued the service my vasectomy doctor provided me; possibly more than I value the service of my bartender, but I didn't tip him. I'm extremely pleased with my dentist, but he doesn't get a prepaid debit card in a Hallmark around this time of year. They guy that keeps my storm drain clean of debris does a tip-top job, but sadly, no tip for him.

Why do we tip at all? We've established it's not necessarily a salary thing since apparently tattoo artists make a killing off of "art". We've also established that it isn't necessarily about how much or little we value a service. So why do we, or why should we tip?

i figured. but an artist getting to keep 90% of what they charge seems like an awfully high percentage, based on what i've heard.

however, it still holds true that tattoo artists are most likely not salaried and don't get paid vacations/sick days, etc.

probably not salaried, no pension, no union, no paid vacations....

fact is, they chose that profession and have accepted those things. I would hope they enjoy what they do for a living. if not maybe they should choose another endeavor.

if everyone tipped their mail carrier $10 for doing their job, he/she would make as much as i do in several months on top of their salary.

i'm gonna expect every taxpayer i send a letter to to tip me for making extra special effort to put their address label on straight and making sure they get their letter faxed asap, even though they waited 10 years to do something about their back taxes and suddenly need everything yesterday so their house isn't foreclosed on.

also, i tip people in food service so they don't spit in my food (or worse) on future visits. i've seen Waiting, and it scares me.

also, i tip people in food service so they don't spit in my food (or worse) on future visits. i've seen Waiting, and it scares me.

You are good to go as long as you don't send food back or be a complete ass to the wait staff....

although I haven't worked in the food industry for many years, some of my friends still do.....

there aren't many jobs outside of hooking and tattooing that make over $100 bucks an hour. I mean hell putting a little flower on some sorority chick's foot so she'll remember losing her virginity on that cruise to Cabo last summer takes less than 20 minutes and the artist charges 50 bucks... that's fucking fantastic.

that being said i DO tip my tattoo artists well. one year i got one a few weeks before christmas and paid double just because he gave me a helluva deal.

You are good to go as long as you don't send food back or be a complete ass to the wait staff....

although I haven't worked in the food industry for many years, some of my friends still do.....

awesome movie. i consider it a documentary at this point lol.

and being a server fucking BLOWS. anyone who's worked in the industry knows that to be fact. you deal with assholes all day who don't tip so you're in a shitty fucking mood and pass that on to tables who surprisingly tip you well and then you feel like an asshole all night. rinse/repeat. every single shift.

when i was doing it the minimum wage for servers was $2.13 an hour. that's right. with no benefits.

i can't ever recall a time when i sent food back. i order most things plain because i'm a really picky eater, and they get it correct around 75% of the time. if i get a sandwich that isn't plain like i ordered, i usually just pick everything off instead of sending it back.

the only time i've not given a server a tip was at hooters. it took literally 2 hours to get our food, and she spent all of her time flirting with the guys at the tables around us. then when we were done eating, she realized how pissed we all were and tried (unsuccessfully) to butter us up. too little, too late. there were probably ten of us, so it was a good sized check, too.

I send food back if it is not prepared properly or if there is something wrong with it. I eat at more expensive establishments, so if I'm paying $35 for an entree, it had better be warm and free of hair. If any server gets in a piss about it, they can go fuck themselves. And if any of them spit in food, they don't deserve their jobs. I'd like to hold them down and piss in their mouths; see how they like it.

That said, if a server is distracted, in a mood, or otherwise seems like they couldn't care less if I was there, they automatically lose 5% of their tip. If the shoddiness continues, the tip slides from there.

The culture of obligation and expectation has got to go. Earn your money like everyone else. If you do a great job, you'll get rewarded accordingly. If you do a shit job, expect shit pay.

The culture of obligation and expectation has got to go. Earn your money like everyone else. If you do a great job, you'll get rewarded accordingly. If you do a shit job, expect shit pay.

so you mean to tell me you never get in a pissy mood at your job because of some asshole you've dealt with? what if your pay DEPENDED on that never affecting your performance? that's really hard to do.

also you're kind of 'expecting' them to have a smile on and get your food to you lightening fast and perfect, aren't you?

i can't ever recall a time when i sent food back. i order most things plain because i'm a really picky eater, and they get it correct around 75% of the time. if i get a sandwich that isn't plain like i ordered, i usually just pick everything off instead of sending it back.

This.

so you mean to tell me you never get in a pissy mood at your job because of some asshole you've dealt with? what if your pay DEPENDED on that never affecting your performance? that's really hard to do.

also you're kind of 'expecting' them to have a smile on and get your food to you lightening fast and perfect, aren't you?

If my pay depended on me not being in a huff with everyone, you're damn right I wouldn't let it effect me. As I said, pawning off that pissy mood on others doesn't make you feel any better and will result in less pay. At least from me.

I'm "expecting" them to do their job, which is to serve me. For the period I am there, it is their job to cater to my needs. So yes, you should be cordial, polite, well mannered, intuitive, attentive, and timely. I don't want lightening speed. In fact, if you bring me my entree before I'm done with my appetizer, I'll send it back. Wait staff is supposed to pay attention to things like this. Especially in finer establishments.

If I eat at Hooters or any other franchise or chain restaurant (which I avoid like the plague), I expect a level of service fitting to that type of establishment.

If I'm paying $100+ for a meal and you want me to lay down another $20 on top of that, you'd better not be in a shitty mood with me, I'm sorry.

i deal with taxpayers asking dumb questions that don't even pertain to anything relevant to my job, in addition to doing 293847 ridiculous things for attorneys all day. i'm not allowed to be in a pissy mood about it or i won't have a job anymore. not my first choice of jobs by far, but i'm glad to have one and so ill do my work with a smile on my face and twitter about the ridiculous things that happen.

and i don't get tips for continuously smiling, either.

don't get me wrong, i'm all for tipping servers, but i expect them to treat me well.