do you give your mail carrier a gift?

cesar11

i tip people who i have to have personal interaction with

and some people actually interact often with their mail carriers. when you develop a good relationship with the people who do shit for you daily you're probably going to get better service. i don't see why this is such a difficult concept.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm just going to say it...if you don't tip your server AT ALL you're an asshole. yes. you are. don't try to deny it just accept it and embrace that you are the kind of people that make your server hate their job.

if it's impossible for you to understand that you're unfairly evaluating your service based on things that may be out of the server's control, or if you think that's okay...you're an asshole as well.

jesus christ whatever happened to paying it forward? or extending some sort of kindness to someone who may have a fucking rougher life than you? this whole tit for tat shit is ridiculous and it's entitlement. "they better be nice to me and fucking dance and smile and jig for my measly change yada yada or i won't tip them HA HA! That'll totally change their attitude!"

if you have a problem with your server, fucking TELL THEM. explain to them that you were unsatisfied with their service and while you're not going to tip them extra, you will be leaving a small tip to compensate them for their time. i for one would appreciate someone doing that rather than stiffing me and not telling me what i, or the restaurant did that got their panties in a wad.

moral of the story here is that i never thought i was abnormally nice and considerate until this thread. glad to know my mother raised a human being.

I've never not tipped someone. That said; I'm not obligated to pay someone for their time unless they're directly employed by me. If a server is underpaid, which they mostly are, it's on their employer. I shouldn't be expected to directly pay their wages. As a customer, I indirectly pay an employee's salary with my patronage.

Servers that think they're obligated to receive 20% regardless of service or attitude shouldn't be anywhere near the hospitality industry.

I've never not tipped someone. That said; I'm not obligated to pay someone for their time unless they're directly employed by me. If a server is underpaid, which they mostly are, it's on their employer. I shouldn't be expected to directly pay their wages. As a customer, I indirectly pay an employee's salary with my patronage.

Servers that think they're obligated to receive 20% regardless of service or attitude shouldn't be anywhere near the hospitality industry.

this.

like i said before, the only time i've not left a tip was when we were blatantly ignored by the server and given AWFUL service. no, i'm not asking for a 'song and dance'. i just want to not wait half an hour for a drink refill, and for my order to be correct. i don't even think it's necessary for a server to ask me how my meal is 5 times after i've received it. just be around if i need anything and don't take forever to bring my bill, etc.

i used to get mad at my dad because i didn't think he left enough tip (he is a cheap, cheap man). and amber, i like you, but all the wah wah bullshit you posted about what an awful person anyone who won't leave a tip for someone who offers poor service makes me NOT want to leave a good tip. if you have a shitty attitude and make my eating experience a nightmare, you don't deserve a tip. bottom line. i certainly hope everyone in the hospitality industry doesn't have your attitude of entitlement.

But Amber is right, no matter what you do for people sometimes they're just not gonna tip you because they're assholes, you can bend over backward for people but they don't give a shit about the server CAUSE THEY JUST SPENT 100.00 DOLLARS ON A MEAL, GODDAMN FUCK THE WAITRESS!

see, thats grade A all american choice bullshit.

allison, don't compare us to Bush supporters. you and I both know were more intelligent than that.

and i didn't say you have to tip 20% or some outrageous amt for someone who obviously ignores your table and such. I'm directly addressing those in this thread who tip poorly based on factors outside of the servers control and assume that's okay. it's not. i go into a restaurant with full knowledge that i will be paying someone to wait on me. i count on at least 10%. no matter what. i've never had a server blatantly ignore me or give me such bad service i couldn't muster a small tip for them.

that being said i feel i've gotten my point across as have you all. i'm just extremely passionate about this subject as nearly every friend and family member i have has at one point worked for tips.

and i don't know what's so entitled about being generous. i tip well so i expect people to tip me well provided i've done a good job. i don't see a problem with that.

I didn't read this entire thread, but motherfuck any piece of shit who doesn't tip a restaurant worker, even if they didn't do so good at their job. Unless you see them obviously ignoring you or straight up not serving you or something like that, there is no excuse. Tip poorly, fine. People who do not tip are the fucking worst scum ever.

Simmer down, cowboy.

Nobody said anything about not tipping at all.

But Amber is right, no matter what you do for people sometimes they're just not gonna tip you because they're assholes, you can bend over backward for people but they don't give a shit about the server CAUSE THEY JUST SPENT 100.00 DOLLARS ON A MEAL, GODDAMN FUCK THE WAITRESS!

see, thats grade A all american choice bullshit.

These people are dicks. It sucks that they exist, especially for the people that serve them.

I am not one of these people.

So I do not expect any server to be in a shitty mood because of one of them. They are an occupational hazard. Deal with it; move on.

Being pissy because of them WILL make ME tip LESS.

Again, it's not about you, it's about ME.