50 greatest guitar tones of all time

Guest markovianprocess

One of the things I hate about lists like this is, why not make it 10 a page or 50 all on the same page? I'd rather not click through 50 pages.

Lemme save everyone the trouble of reading this:

You've read one list like this, you've read them all. The selections are dull and blatantly [classic] rockist. It's the same 50 bland, over-feted, shitty guitar riffs worshiped by 14 year old boys who just learned barre chords and just-past-middle-age boomers who used to be 14 year old boys who will tell you, in great detail, why Clapton is god, man.

this list ISN'T about the riffs, though... it's about the tones. it just so happens that the tones they're talking about are parts of legendary songs. but when you look at it from that different perspective, it's a pretty cool little list.

yep.

while i disagree with a few, there are a lot of guitarists that there tone definitely needed to be on there.

they did definitely leave a few out though. Dimebag Darrell's tone definitely needed to be in there. he had a sound that was distinctive how he wasn't added just blows my mind.

Wow, I couldn't agree more with a lot of this. I'm super happy to see Eddie Van Halen at #3. His guitar sound on "Mean Streets" and pretty much all of Women and Children First and Fair Warning is without comparison. Looks like they actually put in the time to make this story fair. You can't expect them to get bands like Jawbox in there, but that would have been nice. J's sound on For Your Own... and the outtakes from that record is just awesome.

the 6th greatest is slash playing a les paul through a marshall. real cutting edge and original...

and the 1st is seriously comfortably numb? every guitar moment on animals smokes anything in that song...

there's a lot more to that tone than just a les paul and marshall for a guitarist. i have had a marshall and a les paul and couldn't get that same tone. hell he couldn't even get that same tone now if he wanted too. there were so many circumstances that involved that album which made that classic tone what it was. which is why he's up there.