Postal Service - Give Up question

I'm listening to this record on my player right now and the sound is really shitty. I am also playing the album on my computer through the same speakers, and honestly, the mp3s I have sound better. I have the third press on black vinyl, and I was wondering if the record that I have is just bad or if all of these are awful sounding.

I do have a feeling it's my record player but I don't know how to go about fixing the problem. I even took it to my local record store and had the guy there check it out, but he told me it was fine, even though I could still hear that it wasn't playing like it should have been. I think he was just mad because I didn't buy my turn table at his store.

By shitty, I mean that every two seconds there would be a rhythmic popping sound (probably from debris on the record, but it literally goes with the beat of the music even though it's not supposed to be there and it doesn't happen on any other records), the bass was not as strong as it should have been, and in Such Great Heights, the scraping noise (I don't know how else to describe it) during the verse along with the vocals sounded really off.

i went without a groundwire for about 2 years and all it did is put a deep humming noise in the background when the receiver is on.

rhythmic popping can be due to needle drops or scratches mostly, or possibly a warp in the record due to heat, bad pressing, etc. but most of that stuff is easy to notice, and i would assume you would have by now.

this is really a hard question to answer without physically witnessing your problem.

yo, are you cleaning your records and your needle before playing? cotton cloth + alcohol/water sollution = clean. there are small felt things you can get to clean the needle as well, but like someone else said, it's probably not weighted/calibrated properly.

read online about how to do that, because every time you bring it somewhere, it needs to have the weight reset. that means bringing it to a store, then bringing it home is no good.

Yeah, it's (mostly) grounded, it's not a grounding issue. That was killing me for the first couple days. I say mostly because once it's around 8PM the buzzing comes back; something to do with my air conditioning. I was told to get a line conditioner to remedy that.

I also just opened the record a couple days ago and it sounded terrible from the get go. Unfortunately I bought it a while ago so I can't return it or exchange it.

I've been using the anti static brush before I play every record and I tried to clean the needle the other day; it wasn't dirty. I don't think it's calibrated/aligned properly; I really need to look into how to do that.

I have a Pro Ject Debut III which I just got last Tuesday, an insignia receiver, and insignia speakers. The receiver was recommended to me by an audiophile and I researched the speakers; they're supposed to be great for the value and for what I needed.

I got the same speakers.

are they these?

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/insignia_ns_b-2111_review/

a lot of nonfill and stitching (vinyl sticking to the stamper as the record separates) can go along with the music. the former is more of a white noise sound that also will be strongest at one point on each revolution, the latter sounds like a zipping zipper or a really harsh static, almost sounding like a digital glitch.

as for whatever you noticed with your eq, that's either an issue with the eq settings of your turntable vs. your mp3 setup. no matter how badly a record is pressed/damaged, it's never going to reduce the bass.

on black vinyl it's an easy defect to see if you're looking for it. it looks like a dotted line that follows the groove. in the instances I've seen it, it usually happens only on one area of the record, as in not around it 360 degrees, but along a 30-90 degree wedge of wax. also, I've noticed that it seems to crop up a lot in the revolution(s) right before a big dynamic jump in the music (like when the drums come in)

Yeah, it's (mostly) grounded, it's not a grounding issue. That was killing me for the first couple days. I say mostly because once it's around 8PM the buzzing comes back; something to do with my air conditioning. I was told to get a line conditioner to remedy that.

If you have humming all you need to do is order this part from radio shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062214

Replace the RCA cable from turntable to recievier/amp with this one. Humming gone.

oh, and my Red copy of this album sounds great, one of my favorite LPs as a whole, nice sound, nice book, etc..

I have a Pro Ject Debut III which I just got last Tuesday, an insignia receiver, and insignia speakers. The receiver was recommended to me by an audiophile and I researched the speakers; they're supposed to be great for the value and for what I needed.

I got the same speakers.

are they these?

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/insignia_ns_b-2111_review/

Yessir, same ones.

Replace the RCA cable from turntable to recievier/amp with this one. Humming gone.

oh, and my Red copy of this album sounds great, one of my favorite LPs as a whole, nice sound, nice book, etc..

The Debut III's RCA cables are hardwired. That would be so much more convenient than having to buy a 120 dollar device for something stupid though. The hum is fine during the day, so it's not a huge deal, but if I want to spin sometime during the night it's pretty frustrating.

Can you just "chain" that to the current RCA wires and have it take effect or do you have to physically hardwire it?