Packaging / Pre-order Brainstorm /Help me out!

Longtime lurker! Not much posting involved but I could use some help!

What would be some good ideas for packaging and pre-orders of vinyl and CD's?

My band was recently sent a contract from a pretty solid label, and then it was revoked because said label landed a pretty big project. So we know are going to release our music the way we want to. I will keep the label under wraps because they are good dudes and who knows what the future holds with us and them. However, I am interested in hearing some unique ways to package it.

We are somewhat in the likes of The Chariot (obv not as intense live) but similar in music.

This is what I was thinking for a bundle but I want suggestions on how we can make this better and more desirable to someone who has not heard of my band.

(Remember, we are not Radiohead and are not going to push thousands of copies and want to make this somewhat exclusive)

screen printed posters - featuring four alternative sets of art.

hand numbered cd's (want to get creative here)

I was thinking

Each poster comes with a cd with the same alternative art. Then the option to get all four posters and a limited 7" with an alternative song on it.

Maybe throw a shirt in there too? I don't know! I need help! Let me know!

By the way, here is a link to my bands bandcamp and the ep is going to be called "Cagebound"!

Thanks!

withwordsmusic.bandcamp.com

ummmm, my suggestion is don't throw the shirt in a bundle except it is a course in contact or whatever.

i think one colour with variants art is good idea and the art cover should combine for one complete art work. it depend on your album concept and what is your big aim for make variants art.

i remember bullet for my valentine ever did something like this but i didn't remember the details.

and the chariot will play at here soon.

hope this help, nickholman....

:)

skip the gimmicks that try to force people that like your band to have to buy multiple copies of things to get exclusive items. just put everything up separately and make a cheaper discounted package.

also, save yourself a headache, don't sell a single copy of things until you have everything in hand. T shirts you can get printed anywhere with a weeks notice, so if you were looking to do a shirt design that you only print to the # of pre-orders you have, a week delay is acceptable.

screen printed posters - featuring four alternative sets of art.

I was thinking

Each poster comes with a cd with the same alternative art. Then the option to get all four posters and a limited 7" with an alternative song on it.

That sounds like something Radiohead would do...

I would keep things fairly simple being a small band and all. Printing four different screen prints + CD and packaging + 7" and packaging + paying a decent artist so the stuff sells. All of this is going to cost you a good amount of money.

Going to be doing all of the ordering through a merch store run through our merch company. We work very closely with them and we have pretty solid management who is going to help us out.

Just looking for some creative ideas on packaging. I love what the Chariot did with their hand stamped cd's but we do not want to do the same exact thing obviously.

(video of chariot cd making :

)

Cool jams. You guys are self releasing this? Vinyl?

Thanks man.

Well we are going to try to do it all ourselves.

I have been collecting vinyl for three years and have always wanted to do vinyl. The funding might not be there though unfortunately. We are going to try. That would be the most expensive aspect of all of this.