Against me! new wave LEAK

I wish record companies across the board would give you download codes, like Sub Pop, Saddle Creek, etc do.

I don't see it happening much though, just because vinyl is often put out by different labels than the CD version is on. When labels do it in-house, they should provide download codes.

No matter how you look at it or try to justify it, downloading an album is just as illegal if you own the vinyl as if you don't. Still, I don't blame people for doing it.

im pretty sure they can't sue you for downloading a record that you own a physical copy of, i own pretty complete discographys of all of my favorite bands, and ive been downloading them to save me the hassle of having to rip all of them from either cd or vinyl.

Simply not true. Not even close to true. Besides, how would the RIAA know that you have a copy on vinyl before you get a letter from their lawyers?

yah im pretty sure its not illegal either. you are allowed to have your songs backed up on your computer or whatever... you own the right to that song if you own it on vinyl.

It is a civil tort. It's copyright infringement. You don't ever own the rights to any songs. You may rip songs from your own media onto your computer, but file trading is still verboten.

im pretty sure they can't sue you for downloading a record that you own a physical copy of, i own pretty complete discographys of all of my favorite bands, and ive been downloading them to save me the hassle of having to rip all of them from either cd or vinyl.

Simply not true. Not even close to true. Besides, how would the RIAA know that you have a copy on vinyl before you get a letter from their lawyers?

how they can sue you for posessing files that you have purchased a licensing agreement to posess? When microsoft does an audit, they don't care where installed files came from, just as long as you have paid for the copy installed on your machine.

Guest Admin

I would prefer it if the vinyl collective messageboard did not become a forum for album leaks. I realize that album leaks happen for every release no matter what rules get established in this forum, but I don't want to encourage it.

As a small label owner, I know that file-sharing has affected my business. As a vinyl collector, I realize that people should not be expected to buy two copies of an album in multiple formats. I guess I find myself in the middle of the argument.

We have been trying to get the ok's from labels about putting download codes into our vinyl, but so far, we have gotten all negatives. We plan to put download codes into our own vinyl releases.

I know that people are going to download the new Against Me, but please don't make Vinyl Collective a portal for file-sharing.