Vintage marantz receivers help.

I've got a 2238B and dig it. It's been in the family since it was purchased new. I've done some minor soldering and bulb replacement work on it but other than the minor stuff it's still rock solid.

It's going to depend on how old you want to go and what you or your friend wants out of it. I'd suggest looking around on some vintage audio message boards and looking at reviews.

Check this site for detailed info on all the models from the pre-'80s era.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

Anything from the 22xx series will be a solid performer, though the higher models are not just more powerful, but also better built, with higher quality components etc. But the real beasts start with 2270 and through 23xx series all the way to the king of marantz receivers, model 2600.

Although, if your friend doesn't need the tuner part, he could also opt for a stereo integrated from that era. Models 1060, 1070 and 1090 are really excellent, and anything from model 1120 onwards is a must buy at the right price.

love my 2235b. Take a look at the room you're going to be using these in. You're not going to need a 2270 or the 2325 for a small 12x12 room. You could easily get away with a 2215/25/35/50. And you'll save a ton of money.

when I was looking the 15/25s where usually around $50-75 depending on condition

2230-45s where 75-100

2250s where selling for about $150

Really any of the 22xx models are going to be a great performer.

Check out threads here for some additional info http://www.audiokarma.org/