The Rabbit Hole: A Collector's Insight

I've been collecting vinyl for three years. By no means am I an enthusiast, nor is my collection anything to gawk at, but I feel like I've spent my fair share of money on records... and have a respectable amount of vinyl to prove it. I've been into the hobby solely because I enjoy it. I've never purchased an album I didn't love (or at least somewhat enjoy), and I've never flipped a record. Hell... I've never sold a record, come to think of it. I accumulate them because I love surrounding myself with good music. And, of course, for the thrill of the chase. I find amusement in watching eBay items for days on end. And - after countless auctions - I still get a rush when partaking in last second snipes. I enjoy the hype and scramble behind spontaneous releases and pre-orders, and the anticipation [suspense?] of limited variants.

As of late, I've had the cash and opportunity to track down some albums or variants that I've wanted for ages. And upon purchasing them, I found myself in an interesting situation. No doubt do I feel like my collection is "that" much closer to completion... but do I feel as if the urge (nay, craving) to expand my library has subsided? Absolutely not. And this intrigues me, I guess, and I'm wondering if anyone else has been in a similar scenario. After struggling for months or years to hunt down your proverbial white whale, you've dragged it back to the shore, and are able to stand with pride alongside your latest catch. But immediately after; priorities have shifted. You're eying an entirely different pre-order or auction, telling yourself that you just need this one.

My question: when does it end? Does it ever?

I know some of you have been collecting records for more than a decade. Have you ever considered a point where you'd stop? I'm a firm believer that the best record collections are always incomplete. [so long as the collector isn't musically narrow-minded.] Does anyone here see themselves buying vinyl releases for the rest of their life? And somewhat off subject, but has anyone considered what it may take for you to part with your collection? I'm not talking about selling off duplicates or variants here and there, to pad your checking account from paycheck to paycheck. I mean going all out, and liquidating everything you've accumulated. A sick pet? A friend in critical condition? A family member in crisis? I often wonder what measures some people would go to, to preserve their collection.

There's not a day that goes by where I don't find another album I'd love to own. Most of the time, it comes down to money - or lack thereof. It just seems like a never-ending desire to accumulate more and more records. Perhaps this is simply greed, but I'm sure I'm not alone.

So I'm presenting a mere opportunity to the hardcore collectors out there. I challenge you to take a step back and appreciate - really appreciate - everything you've ever gotten your greedy little paws on. Just a moment to leaf through your collection and be grateful for all of the rare finds, crazy auctions, unbelievable steals, and good music that graces your library. I feel as if I all too often lose sight of this. In a world and hobby where too much is never enough, I suppose it's just refreshing to abandon all the bullshit notions of that one variant or the one auction that got away. To simply seize a minute to revel in the collection you've worked so hard for, and enjoy even more.

Perhaps I am the only one who feels this way. In which case I'd feel like a greedy ass-hat. But I have a feeling I'm not the only one who's on a constant hunt for new records, or who willingly sacrifices "too much" of their paycheck more often than they'd like to admit.

Have a good weekend, ladies and gentlemen.

You're not an enthusiast? Sounds like you're on your way. I can't relate to some of what you're saying because I have been surrounded by records since birth and I'm completely obsessed with them. I can't even say I totally understand why someone would decide they want to collect in this day and age but I'm extremely happy that they do.

I don't know that your questions are really aimed at someone like me. But I'm pushing 30 years of record buying and I haven't lost an iota of passion about it. I'll never stop buying them and I've never considered selling my collection. It's not an option, it would take the most dire of situations for that to happen.

For me it ends if it ever becomes detrimental to other aspects of my life (relationships, jobs, finances). As long as I can maintain these in addition to doing this then I'm happy. I appreciate what I have because every time I'm low on money the thought crosses my mind to sell my records I just can't bring myself to do it for some reason. Greed is a factor I suppose but I don't think it's a malicious greed, when I have sold shit to people I feel like I've been on the level because for me it's not a money thing it's about owning a piece of music that you really want. I collect variants for certain bands but at the end of the day I just want good music. I appreciate being able to pull a record off my shelf that suits whatever mood I'm in. /rant