Any Stick Shift Drivers?

I've been driving manual since I was 16, and still have days where I'm rough or let off the clutch too fast (usually when I'm tired). It's takes a bit, but soon you'll hardly notice.

My best advice is to figure out exactly where your clutch engages and releases so you don't get that "rough" feeling.

I've been driving manual since I was 16, and still have days where I'm rough or let off the clutch too fast (usually when I'm tired). It's takes a bit, but soon you'll hardly notice.

My best advice is to figure out exactly where your clutch engages and releases so you don't get that "rough" feeling.

Yep, I agree. I've been driving stick for about 10 years. You have to find the "sweet spot" on the clutch. Put it in 1st, and slowly release the clutch. That was the first thing my buddy who taught me how to drive 5 speed taught me, and it worked like a charm.

There's no real need to jiggle your shifter while in neutral. Sounds like you're not downshifting enough when you slow down for your turns and attempt inclines.

I usually base it on how fast I'm going and I hold the clutch in till i come out of turn and let the clutch out accordingly. As for going up hill i usually find myself pushing 2nd till i gain momentum then shift. Even then i find my self grinding slightly on occasion.

I learned on a stick because, you know, "what if something happens and that's the only car available?" but I have an automatic now. Mostly because I live in Stop Sign Mecca (as my uncle from Boston calls Kenmore/Tonawanda). I found driving stick easy, though. You just figure out where it actually engages and remember to shift at the right times.

I went about 2 years without driving stick at all and then was driving in Salem, Mass. Went down the wrong tiny street and ended up in the world's smallest culdesack and had to do a 17-point turn to turn around. I thought for sure I was going to stall out once, but I didn't at all! I was so pumped all day long. It's the little things that make life grand.

Every car I've owned has been a stick, and I don't see myself ever going out to attempt to buy a car that isn't unless I just get an incredible deal. Tennessee roads are so fun to drive. But yeah, just gotta figure out that sweet spot where it engages and you're good.

Watch Tokyo Drift daily, also.